ISO superior Crab Stuffing for Prawns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I will be making stuffed prawns for just my soon-to-be wedded daughter and my soon-to-be Son-In-Law. I am thinking that a crab stuffing would be great. I want something that will enhance the crab and prawn natural flavors and add drama to the dish. These stuffed prawns will be dredged in panko bread crumbs after they are stuffed and will be used to garnish a platter of pasta with clams, scallops, muscles and tomatoes, in a light and chunky marinara. I might throw some nice olives on top for color as well.

I believe that the bride and groom need to have something special, different and better than what everyone else is eating. The two are getting married in Seatle and the reception will be in Tacoma. I understand that there is an amazing seafood market in Seatle, and my daughter has asked for something seafood for her and her future husband's special meal.

I want these prawns to be the best ever made and so am putting out this inquiry. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Would a Mango and Red Onion salad sound any good, make a simple dressing of white vinegar, water and sugar to go with it. I also like Honeydew melon with prawns

I will be making stuffed prawns for just my soon-to-be wedded daughter and my soon-to-be Son-In-Law. I am thinking that a crab stuffing would be great. I want something that will enhance the crab and prawn natural flavors and add drama to the dish. These stuffed prawns will be dredged in panko bread crumbs after they are stuffed and will be used to garnish a platter of pasta with clams, scallops, muscles and tomatoes, in a light and chunky marinara. I might throw some nice olives on top for color as well.

I believe that the bride and groom need to have something special, different and better than what everyone else is eating. The two are getting married in Seatle and the reception will be in Tacoma. I understand that there is an amazing seafood market in Seatle, and my daughter has asked for something seafood for her and her future husband's special meal.

I want these prawns to be the best ever made and so am putting out this inquiry. Thanks.

Here is what I do.. basically deviled crab.

Crab meat, onion, bread crumbs, raw egg, roasted red pepper, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, touch of crushed dried red pepper, touch of paprika.

Mix it up. It should hold form. If it's too dry, add a little water.

GW - this looks good and a little different from the norm.

Where it says to chop up the prawns and use it you could always use crab instead.

If you can find a recipe for Shrimp patrician. Butter fly 16-20 size shrimp and put about a tbl of crab cake mixture in them and egg wash panko and fry till light brown. We served these at the hotel when I was just a squirt in the kitchen. very good

gw, first of all, congrats. he's a lucky boy to be added to your fold.

secondly, i hate to say it but garlic shrimp would be my choice considering the entree. not the best idea for a wedding, and (look away) wedding night.

but if you have to have a stuffing for a "breaded" shrimp, then blue claw (altho dungeness would be more approp. for the groom from the left coast) lump meat, mixed with a teeny bit of thyme and parsley butter, eggwhites, and pinch of minced celery and shallots. stuff it into the split shrimp, bread and fry.

if you have extra crab meat, do not hestitate to top their seafood marinara with the crab at the last second, so it doesn't get lost in the sauce.

good luck and god bless the lucky bastid and his wife. :)

Wow! Great stuff here. Thanks everyone. Now I have to purchase some prawns, some lump crab meat, and see which one will work best. They all sound like they would work very well. I WANT A MEAL FOR ME WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! Anyone want to volunteer to make it and bring it to my house?:LOL:

I wonder how stuffed and breaded scallops would taste. Hmmm. Futher adventures in cullinary experimentation could be in my future when all of this is done.

Now, I just have to digress. Think roulladin with beef skirt steak and crab or lobster stuffing. I've got to get off of this thread. I'm getting hungry.:ROFLMAO:

I did a special at work early this year, tenderloin fillets stuffed with crab stuffing.

Leftover crab stuffing can be used to stuff into mushroom caps (Morels ought to be springing in your area soon, they already are here, stuff those!).

Heck, you want a real treat? Take your fishing gear to the nearest trout stream. Catch the daily limit. Take 'em home. Scale and clean them, but don't skin the trout. Butter the trout from the belly side, and remove the backbone. Remove the head if you want to. Lay the trout out flat, skin-side down. Lay crab stuffing on one side. To cook, preheat the broiler. Take a skillet large enough to hold the trout, and preheat it over medium-high heat. Add some oil to the pan, swirl to coat. Lay the trout into the pan, skin-side down. When the trout is mostly cooked, carefully fold the side without stuffing over the side with stuffing. Then, CAREFULLY flip the fish so that the side with stuffing is on top, and the weight of the stuffing holds the fish together. Place under the broiler until the skin crisps up nicely and the stuffing is hot. I'm not sure how long that will be, but I wouldn't have the fish to close to the heat source.

You can probably get away with making crab cakes from leftover crab stuffing as well.

You're right, GW. I need to get off this thread as well, or I'm going to have to go get a snow crab cluster and make some stuffing to stuff into "something" at home.

Congrats Goodweed.

Lived in Seattle many years ago (proud alumnus of UW) and they sure do have fine seafood. For a crab stuffing prefer blue crab rather than dungeness, for both taste and texture. But dungeness is great.

Would probably add a bit, just a tad, of mayo, very finely diced red and yellow peppers for texture, flavor, and color. A bit of cracker meal and some egg for binding. And, oh yes, Old Bay seasoning. These are a minor part of the show but add a lovely flavor and texture.

Scallions sound like a great addition at the moment, but have not done it.

Have made crab filling for stuffied lobsters with that and they always worked out very well.

Again congratulations.

I took an amalgamation of your ideas and made a mock-up of the stuffed prawns using easy-peel, deveined, raw shrimp (20 to 24 per lb.). The stuffing was made from starkist lump tuna in a pouch, about two tbs. beaten egg, about 1/2 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs, garlic, and a chiffanade of onion greens, all of this combined with freshly grated Parmesan Regiano.

I combined the ingredients for the stuffing in a bowl and set aside. Then I peeled the shrimp and made broth from the shells. I dregged the shrimp in seasoned flour, dipped in the remaining egg, and rolled in panko breadcrumbs. These were pan-fried in oil until golden brown. The oven was preheated to 400' F. and the shrimp were uncurled slightly with the stuffing placed into the curl, which held it in place. Placed the shrimp on foil, tail-side up, and baked for ten minutes. Removed from the oven and plated around linguini with seafood broth reduction and alfredo sauce. Side dish was bruschetta made from EVOO soaked jewish rye with a great tomato based topping and grated Parmesan-Regiano cheese.

With better tasting prawns and crabs, I might have pro-chefs after me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. It was really, really good. I can't wait to serve it to my daughter and her soon-to-be husband.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom