ISO tips for (previously frozen) Tuna Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi all! DH, ever the adventurous shopper, brought home, ahem, "Previously frozen sashimi yellowfin ahi tuna steak" (from the label). What the heck do I do with it? It looks beautiful, but since it was previously frozen, I would hesitate to eat it raw.

Thanks!

Hi all! DH, ever the adventurous shopper, brought home, ahem, "Previously frozen sashimi yellowfin ahi tuna steak" (from the label). What the heck do I do with it? It looks beautiful, but since it was previously frozen, I would hesitate to eat it raw.

Thanks!

I would hesitate to eat it raw if it hasn't been frozen. Freezing, if done long enough and cold enough, kills any parasites.

Get a frying pan REALLY hot, sear the sides and keep the center quite rare. Mmmmmm. Serve with wasabi mayo or a squeeze of lemon and cayenne. Delish.

Or do what AB did on one of his shows and use a charcoal chimney starter to put a good high heat sear to it. Just lay a grate from another grill on top of the starter. About a minute per side and use a fork, not a flipper, to lift separate from the grate.

Should I marinate it? Teriyaki with coarse pepper, oil or butter? Def will sear in a hot cast iron pan. Weather sucks here, windy and snow earlier!

taxlady said:
I would hesitate to eat it raw if it hasn't been frozen. Freezing, if done long enough and cold enough, kills any parasites.

Taxlady, you are totally right. I knew that at some point. Duh me.

Sear it! Slice it. Make a light "dipping" sauce. Shred some diakon, carrots and Persian cukes. Chop some green onions. Use Boston lettuce leaves as a wrapper.

Smear some kimchi base on the bottom of the lettuce leaf, add a piece of tuna, top with vegis, drizzle on a little "dipping" sauce and enjoy the "taco".:)

Craig

Tuna steak was outstanding! Took your advice, quick sear in a bit of butter and oil after a sprinkle of s and p, 2 minutes each side. Lite soy sauce and pickled ginger on the side. Rare, and delish! And now it's gone. Sigh...

Yep. Sea salt and coarse ground pepper I pressed in on all sides.

Have never heard of charcoal chimney cooking directly on the chimney a la AB. Intriguing!

Great advice from this site! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom