Linguine with Clams and Artichokes in Red Sauce (Marinara)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

expatgirl

Master Chef
Here's an easy, wonderful recipe from one of my hard-working friends that you can adapt to your own tastes as I'll show you mine

2 Tbsp. each: olive oil and diced green onions (I use more onion), also I add 1/2-3/4 cups sliced mushrooms or you can use canned

2-3 garlic cloves, minced

1/3 cup white wine (I use a dry red)
1/4 tsp. pepper ( I use freshly ground)

1 (26-oz jar tomato pasta sauce ( for economy I like Paul Newman's varieties and avoid Ragu out of prejudice--but I wouldn't skimp on this ingredient--choose a good brand and spend the extra few pennies as it's the main ingredient)

1 (14 oz) can or jar quartered (I divide mine smaller) artichoke hearts (if watching calories get the ones in water and not oil) usually in canned veggies dept. and give a tangy flavor as well as nice texture--DRAIN!!!

1 (10 oz) can baby clams, UNDRAINED (yep, the juice goes into the pot) (I will also throw in cooked shrimps if I have them on hand)

2 Tbsp. of each : (Suggested) chopped fresh basil and parsley or 2 tsp. of each dried, I also like to add about a 1/2 to 1 tsp. of dried oregano (really this will depend on the taste of your pasta sauce to begin with--start with small amounts and go from there (this is why I don't use Ragu--you basically start from scratch with that brand)

Hot cooked pasta--her recipe calls for linguine but I prefer spaghetti so it's up to your tastes

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat-high heat. Add the green onions, garlic, and mushrooms (if you're using them) and saute until tender, stirring constantly. About 3-4 minutes. 2 minutes if just green onions.

Add wine, pepper, pasta sauce, artcihoke hearts and clams (shrimps, too, if you have them) and herbs. Heat to just bubbling and then reduce to low simmer for 5 minutes. Serve sauce over pasta and top with parmesan cheese. Add crusty Italian bread, a veggie, and a salad and you're on your way.

:chef:

Vongole with an addition of artichoke... lovely idea I never thought of!! I would like to try a white version with the same idea... we have a jar of clams in the cupboard right now, too... I will let you know how it turns out!:)

Back
Top Bottom