Live Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad it was great! As often happens, I didn't find this until you'd already had the meal! But I, too agree .... boil or steam, melted butter (don't know why you clarify in this case). Red or Yukon Gold Potatoes, Corn on the cob.

I don't know why those rolls aren't more available. Somewhere I lived I could buy un-split hot dog buns, then would split them vertically. Close. But I actually prefer them for hot dogs and sausages.

I think the reason some people clarify the butter is so it doesn't burn/brown sitting on the butter warmer as easily. I used to have a different set of warmers and used to clarify the butter back then. If I didn't it would come to a boil too quickly and I'd end up blowing the flame out so it didn't brown, then relighting it ten minutes later. Clarifying raises the smoke point (I'm sure you know). I've got ceramic warmers now and don't have that problem. Either that or I am eating/dunking more quickly :angel:

I found some Sara Lee French Rolls which would make a lovely bun for a lobster roll. A good place to look for these and other nice sandwich rolls, is at the foot of the deli counter.

They're like a hoagie roll 7-1/2" long. Now if I only had some lobster *sob*.

Just got back from the store on a "roll hunt" for the lobster rolls. TAT.....Pep. Farm had everything there but "New England style rolls".....I'm thinking we are just too far west of New England to have a call for them here. I did find some nice hogie kind of rolls by Kings Hawaiian bread company that should work well. Yes, I'll slather on the butter and grill them first Dawg. ;) I'm also going to make some clam chowder to go with the lobster rolls and decided to save it all for dinner tonight instead of lunch. Thanks again for all the nice wishes for our anniversary...we sure have fun together and these two dinners have made for priceless memories. Wouldn't trade this for the fanciest expensvive dinner in the finest restaurant. :D

I imagine you searching for those buns must have been like me trying to find a tamale steamer a couple years ago.

Lol! I had a friend who did just that, he and a buddy bought a couple at a restaurant, said they would take them "to go", then put them on a string, and walked them down the street!

I once brought home 12 live New Brunswick lobsters. We had races with them in a very long corridor :LOL: The cats were quite entertained, but were cautious enough not to get nipped.

Glad to hear you had a great anniversary.

did you get any roe?
we can get them for under $9/lb. all year long, $5 /lb. on sale seasonally.

I hope they didn't get any with roe. That would make them illegal. By law have to be tossed back. Our everyday winter price is $4.99 a pound. Summer lobsters are cheaper. My husband was a commercial fisherman and would bring home what they consider trash catch of lobster all the time. One time I let 16 of them die in the crisper. Forgot all about them. I have had my fill of lobster over the years. Give me a nice freshly caught Haddock any day. And for those New England style rolls, take a slice of white bread, fold it from top to bottom. Toast the sides. Voila! There you have it. :chef:

Last edited:
My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He would always bring in lobsters. The kids hated them. And I got sick of them real quick. He thought he was bringing home a treat. Little did he realize that during WWII we ate a lot of lobster as meat was rationed. And after a storm we would go down to the waterfront and pick them up off the beach. And dig up clams of all sizes. Including razor clams. Living only a few blocks from the Atlantic Ocean all seafood was plentiful. I still love seafood, but sometime need a rest from certain ones for a while. Lobsters are still on that list.

Last edited:
addie, that's interesting about the roe.

we often get small 1 to 1 1/4 's with a pink eeggsack in the upper part of the tail towards the carapace ( or would that be thorax)?

is it legal any time of the year?

No. They are the future of the lobster industry and by international law must be thrown back into the sea. Also there is a limit on the length of a lobster. I think it is five inches. To take illegal lobsters and getting caught means having the lobsters taken away and receiving in their place a hefty fine for each lobster. The lobster folks here would report in a heartbeat anyone taking illegal lobsters. They know that it is their future that is being taken from the sea. That sack of eggs mean that about 12 or more lobsters were lost to the industry. Most lobster men will only harvest male lobsters if their catch is a good one for the day.

Last edited:
My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He would always bring in lobsters. The kids hated them. And I got sick of them real quick. He thought he was bringing home a treat. Little did he realize that during WWII we ate a lot of lobster as meat was rationed. And after a storm we would go down to the waterfront and pick them up off the beach. And dig up clams of all sizes. Including razor clams. Living only a few blocks from the Atlantic Ocean all seafood was plentiful. I still love seafood, but sometime need a rest from certain ones for a while. Lobsters are still on that list.
This brought back memories of the late 50s, we would all drive to the Lleyn peninsula after a storm to rock pool, my mum found the first lobster I ever ate, my dad and big brother would go out mackerel spinning, my kid brother drop line for crabs.My mum and I would search the pools.Life was family without televisions and computers in the bedroom.

Ps Addie some of my wifes family fish commercially in Croatia.

i understand how eggs work, addie, lol. and laws too.

it just seems odd how often we get females, especially ones with roe. i mean, i buy them from various supermarkets and fish mongers in the nyc metro area. not out of the back of a truck or a guy with a suitcase on a corner somewhere.

speaking of suitcases, however, i can get you a deal on a rolax watch, or a lois vuitton handbag...

My second husband was a commercial fisherman. He would always bring in lobsters. The kids hated them. And I got sick of them real quick.

What!? I'd kill a human being for a lobster! It's really because it's expensive and rare around these parts. However, I can understand that the same thing everyday is annoying.

Now what did I learn on TV about lobsters? The pincers are the softest part and to remove them, you have to slam you knife into it and slide the meat out or something. I don't know. Never had a lobster before.

I hope you get to try it! The meat is so sweet, like a cross between shrimp and crab, but with a lovely flavor all its own.

i understand how eggs work, addie, lol. and laws too.

it just seems odd how often we get females, especially ones with roe. i mean, i buy them from various supermarkets and fish mongers in the nyc metro area. not out of the back of a truck or a guy with a suitcase on a corner somewhere.

speaking of suitcases, however, i can get you a deal on a rolax watch, or a lois vuitton handbag...

Can you get me a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport on the cheap???:cool:

Back
Top Bottom