Lobster Diablo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I think someone PM'd me for this recipe, but it is no longer in my "in box" so I thought I'd post it again.

Lobster Diablo

With this recipe you can adjust the ingredients to your taste. Although I'm going to give amounts, I really just "eyeball" it. Feel free to adjust away to make it your own. This recipe was originally developed using Florida/Caribbean spiny lobster tails, but I'm sure Maine lobster tails would work fine.

4 Previously frozen lobster tails, meat removed and shells saved and cut into 1/2" chunks
1 Medium sweet onion, 1/4" dice
1-1/2 cups bell peppers, 1/4" dice. I prefer to use a combo of red, yellow and orange. but you can use all of one or whatever combo you want. No green please.
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp Colemans dry mustard
1/2 tsp Cayenne (this is a minimum, adjust to your liking)
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/8 cup freshly grated parmesan
Splash of dry white wine, vermouth or dry sherry
salt and pepper to taste

To remove meat from shells, use a pair of cooking shears to cut the membrane on the underside of the tail, along the swimmerette line, on both sides. Do this from open end to the tail fin, then cut the membrane off at the tail fin. From the open end you should be able to slip a finger between the meat and shell to pop the meat out. Set the shells aside as you will be stuffing the diablo mixture into them.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Melt 4 Tbsp butter in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Salt and pepper to taste. Add lobster meat, mustard and cayenne. Saute until lobster meat is opaque. Add bread crumbs and mix into lobster mixture. Add wine. The mixture should be moist, without excess liquid in the pan. If too dry add more wine. If too moist add more bread crumbs. Remove from heat. Using a spoon, stuff mixture into reserved shells and bake on a cookie sheet until golden brown on top. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. Place back in oven until cheese melts. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Craig

Somehow I thought it was with cooked lobster. That's OK though! This time have copied and saved.

Thanks you!

Of course, in the meanwhile, everytime I passed the fridge, I reached in and snagged a bit. Just one tail and one claw left. ;)

Think I'll now chop it up and have a sandwich.

Was reading another post where you doubted the freshness of the lobsters in a grocers tank. Here, in Montreal, it is only a 16 hour drive to the Maritimes. So when lobster comes on special they have usually just been shipped in overnight. LOL - we don't all have the luxury of jumping out the back door and diving for our dinner.

Did anyone here ever see the TV episode with the 2 Italian cooks. One dives overboard, comes back and hands his friend an octopus (or squid don't remember which) to cook right on board their dory - but he hauls it out of his Speedo. Was sooo funny!

Somehow I thought it was with cooked lobster. That's OK though! This time have copied and saved.

Thanks you!

Of course, in the meanwhile, everytime I passed the fridge, I reached in and snagged a bit. Just one tail and one claw left. ;)

Think I'll now chop it up and have a sandwich.

Was reading another post where you doubted the freshness of the lobsters in a grocers tank. Here, in Montreal, it is only a 16 hour drive to the Maritimes. So when lobster comes on special they have usually just been shipped in overnight. LOL - we don't all have the luxury of jumping out the back door and diving for our dinner.

Did anyone here ever see the TV episode with the 2 Italian cooks. One dives overboard, comes back and hands his friend an octopus (or squid don't remember which) to cook right on board their dory - but he hauls it out of his Speedo. Was sooo funny!

If it was an octopus and it was alive, he would have a fight on his hands to "haul it out"!:ohmy:

That sounds delicious Craig.

I once bought a dozen live lobsters in Shippegan, New Brunswick. I put them in a cooler with ice. I drove home to Montreal. They were all still lively when I got home. According to Google maps, that's an 882 km / 9 hour 22 minute drive. I think it took me closer to 10 or 11 hours. I was driving by myself.

While it was delicious, we ate all of them boiled and with garlic butter for dipping. It would have been nice to have had another recipe, like this one, for variety.

I love octopus grilled, Greek style. Love squid as well in many different dishes. Although there are many freshwater fish I will eat, salmon is not one of them. I will eat smoked salmon (lox or nova) and gravlax that we cure ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom