Lobster Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just had Maine lobster tails last night. They were on sale, 5oz. tails for $5 each.

They were surprisingly tasty even though they were frozen. Just a quick few minutes in a bamboo steamer, and they were ready for eating (with a swipe through melted butter).

This reminds me of a commercial I saw recently that annoyed me where they said the reason poeple eat lobsters is just as a vehicle for melted butter.

I'm glad I forgot what it was for, otherwise it would be on my list of places to avoid.

This reminds me of a commercial I saw recently that annoyed me where they said the reason poeple eat lobsters is just as a vehicle for melted butter.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: You could pretty much say that about Escargot and/or perriwinkles! Unless they are really fresh and really tender, it is pretty much just for the garlic butter! :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Lobster.... on a bun? Lobster? On a bun? With Mayo?

Why would anyone do that to a lobster? I am mixed on even having melted butter with it....

On a bun? My mind boggles....

:)

I have tried a few lobster rolls on trips to New England, and maybe I just didn't get good ones, but I didn't like them. Lobster and mayo just didn't work for me.

Now, melted butter? Oh, yeah. I'm down with that.

CD

Here's one to add to the pile...

It is my understanding that lobsters were originally considered to be garbage food and were served to the servants. They were also commonly way over 5 lbs.

Yes, all the best foods and recipes were invented by peasants and slaves, who had to use what the rich folk wouldn't eat.

It is so ironic to watch millionaires dine on foods that they would have snubbed their noses at 250 years ago. But, the downside it that these "trash" foods now cost an arm and a leg.

My favorite cut of beef a few years ago was flat-iron steak. Tender, full of flavor... and CHEAP. Then, it made it to the Food Network shows, and the price tripled. Now it costs as much as a good ribeye.

CD

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: You could pretty much say that about Escargot and/or perriwinkles! Unless they are really fresh and really tender, it is pretty much just for the garlic butter! :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Escargot are one of those foods that can be really awesome, or downright awful, depending on the quality of the snails, and the person who cooks them.

The first time I had them was at a black-tie dinner, and OMG, they were incredible. I've yet to have any that good again.

CD

We just had Maine lobster tails last night. They were on sale, 5oz. tails for $5 each.

They were surprisingly tasty even though they were frozen. Just a quick few minutes in a bamboo steamer, and they were ready for eating (with a swipe through melted butter).

I'm glad I forgot what it was for, otherwise it would be on my list of places to avoid.

Bucky, The size called "Chicken", 1 to 1-1/4#, are often on sale (live) for $6.99 # here at Penn Dutch. I buy several, steam them till just under done, and vacuum seal the tail, knuckle and claw meat then deep freeze for future use.

Bucky, The size called "Chicken", 1 to 1-1/4#, are often on sale (live) for $6.99 # here at Penn Dutch. I buy several, steam them till just under done, and vacuum seal the tail, knuckle and claw meat then deep freeze for future use.

Craig, have you had Caribbean spiny lobster? I actually like them better than Main Lobster. They should be readily available in Florida.

CD

Was that for Maine lobsters? $5.99/lb is about the cheapest we can get them here, when they go soft shell. They used to get down to around $4/ lb, but I read somewhere that the price is kept "artificially" higher so as not to allow it to be thought of as anything but a delicacy.

How large would you say the tails were on the chickens you buy?

Last edited:
In the summer months when lobsters molt and are soft shelled, prices are lower. $5.99/Lb is not uncommon at out supermarket fish counter. It's a great way to have a cheap lobster feast. Also, I don't need implements to get to the meat.

Yeah, it's great when you can peel them like a shrimp. I like to try to get the claw meat out in 1 piece.

I could be mistaken but I don't believe Canadian lobster fishers are allowed to take soft shelled lobsters.

Our cheapest price is $7.99 per lb. for 1 to 1.5 lb lobsters. That was a special last week. Larger lobsters 2 - 4 lbs are $26+ per kilo... so 3 x 2 lb lobsters are $60.00. Which I accidentally paid without realizing it last week for those lobsters. Bigger than that it's even more, I didn't ask.

I threw a bit of a hissy fit at the manager saying I never saw the sign that said the special was only for the 1 to 1.5 lb lobsters. I honestly did not see the print on the side of the tank. The girl who was serving me was standing in front of it. So when she asked what weight I wanted I said "what the heck! give me 2 lb'ers!" I only looked at the price tag once I got home and was unloading the rest of the groceries. The manager shrugged his shoulders and basically said to me "too bad, so sad"

Guess who's writing a letter about advertising and managerial skills to head office!

Lobster Stock

I did go to another chain grocer while the special was still on and got some more for myself and a couple of friends... ok, just to be clear, everyone paid up for their own lobster!

But of the two sets of shells that I had .. I made stock, two different ways. I had often made stock with the shells for my brother while he was with me. Just boiled them with some stuff and he would scarf it down like there was no tomorrow. (personally - I thought it was yechy!)

But I researched it this time.
1st batch - smash shells and 'stir fry' with your mirepoix, add... etc. meh! not too bad except it gouged my board while trying to smash those super hard shells..:mad:
2nd batch - roasted in oven first, then crushed with potato masher in stock pot, proceed with mirepoix, etc...

so take note - if you decide to smash first - WEAR SAFETY GLASSES - DO NOT USE FAVOURITE CUTTING BOARD - USE OLDEST THROW AWAY RAGS TO COVER WHILE SMASHING

OR

JUST ROAST AND EASILY CRUSH WITH POTATO MASHER AFTER. :) :chef: :)

It is just about time for the lobsters to start their molting. Last week they were $6.95 a pound. The price will drop when as Andy said, they start molting. So I expect to be able to buy a couple next month when I go shopping.

Last year there was a glut of lobsters. The day time lobster folks were selling them right from their boat instead of selling them to a third party. Last year in June, Spike and I went in town to James Hook place and got four of them for $1.99 a pound. I don't care for molting lobsters. You can remove the shell by hand, but the meat is soooo watery.

When my second husband would come in from 16 days at sea, the men would sell their lobsters to James Hook. That money was called "Shack Money." Sometimes if there were a lot of lobsters, a couple of the men would bring some home for the family. And you can guess what happened from that. I and the kids got real sick of lobster. It was a couple of years before I could eat it again.

But the best thing he brought home was ten pounds of Haddock all fileted and ready for the frying pan. He trimmed and fileted them right on the boat for me. I didn't say anything, but I would have preferred the whole fish. The head and frame make a great chowder. I know. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Well Addie, I'm tellin' yuh, these suckers must have been close to moulting. Those shells were humongous thick. I've seen my fair share and these were ... thick!

Well Addie, I'm tellin' yuh, these suckers must have been close to moulting. Those shells were humongous thick. I've seen my fair share and these were ... thick!

When they are molting, their shells are soft enough that you can peel off the shell with your hand. They start to molt around the mid to end of June. When the waters start to warm up. And they come closer to shore. The waters at the edge get warmer quicker than the really deep sea.

...How large would you say the tails were on the chickens you buy?
Buying the 5 ounce tail for $5 actually isn't a bad deal. A couple years ago, when we had an early sustained hot spell and summer came early, I remember Market Basket having lobsters for $3.99 a pound. We don't have them often because they're work. And $3.99 a pound isn't that great of a deal when you figure how much meat you get and how much time you spend getting it. I bought three lobsters at that price for a total of 4# - or $16. I don't remember exactly how much it ended up weighing, but I do remember that when you figured it all out it would have valued at $25...which is exactly what they were selling fresh shelled lobster meat for in the seafood case. :wacko: All that time and no real savings.

Addie, you've often described over the years that softer shelled lobster meat as "watery".

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Yes, the yield of flesh inside the shell is a teeny bit less, but I've never found tbe meat that you get any different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom