LOL @ Abalone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
Based on not yet finding an online source for calamari steaks via a previous post, I searched for Abalone. Back when I was diving, and caught these critters by hand, it was $16/lb.

Now it seems to be $125-140/lb. Yikes!!!

The quest continues for calamari steaks.

Some foods are just meant to be a delicious memory, and it sure was delicious. Every time I see otters enjoying their favorite food they make me smile, and I'm fine with enjoying other foods from the sea.

This reminds me of a food that I ate as a child, while in Spain - baby eels, or angulas. They were dirt cheap back then, and some restaurants would have a barrel of them, alive, for dramatics, scooping them out, coating with something, and frying them alive. I would eat them, because it grossed out my older sister (this is where I learned to try a lot of innards, for the same reason!). They have been severely overfished, and I remember a show several years ago by Andrew Zimmern, in Madrid (where I lived in the mid 60s) and he had a small bowl of an Angula soup, that cost $125.00! I'm sure it's even more, now.

I'm not surprised, California put a ban on harvesting last year.

Based on not yet finding an online source for calamari steaks via a previous post, I searched for Abalone. Back when I was diving, and caught these critters by hand, it was $16/lb.

Now it seems to be $125-140/lb. Yikes!!!

The quest continues for calamari steaks.

sigh... Growing up on the Monterey Bay of California, in the 40's/50's, we would drive to the rocky shore, take the tire iron out of the trunk and pry abalone of the rocks at low tide..
The walkways and flower garden borders were lined with abalone shells at our home.. Now I can't afford the shells, much less the meat... :ermm:

Ross

As a speceis, we don't seem to understand the concept of taking just what we need, instead of abusing the recource. Two reasons I don't bu cod, flavorless, and way over fished. In my neck of the woods, it is perch and smelt, and lake trout. Not only do they suffer from invasive speceis, but over fishing as well. The smelt used to run so heavy in the spring that one scoop of a dip net would nearly fill a 5 gallon bucket. People would fill the beds of their pickup truck, or garbage cans with the tasty little fish, and use them for fertilizer in their gardens. Now, you can still dip for them in the spring, but it takes hours to fill a 5 gallon pail, and that's all you're allowed.

I almost think that we, as humans, shoulld just quit fishing for a couple of years, and let the water creatures have a chance to come back. But that, of course won't happen. To satisfy demand, we now have farmed fish and seafood, which is usually no healthy to consume. Norway, China, and Canada are famous for substandard fish raised in fish farms. I wonder when we will wake up.

I also avoid certain brands of food because of their busines practices. Their iw a well known bui
ness that pulls ground water from one of the premier gound water tables in Michigan, a water table that feeds on of our nationion's primium trout streams. They get the water for nothing, bottle it, and ship it all over the world for profit. Their short term profit is depleting a natural resource that has been a treasure in Michigan forever. Ok, I'll quite ranting now.

Last edited:
When I was in Chile they served Locos (Concholepas concholepas) which are very similar. But they are also overfished.

I have hope that a change of pendulum direction is overdue. I don't mean these foods will be cheap again, but that sensible changes will become possible that make adequate nutrition available to everybody without eco-destruction.

My generation has failed shamefully. Our children have done no better. Maybe our grandchildren will find a way to put the common good ahead of personal and tribal greed.

we now have farmed fish and seafood, which is usually no healthy to consume. Norway, China, and Canada are famous for substandard fish raised in fish farms.
I wouldn't rule out farmed seafood as some of it is as good or better than fresh caught. I wouldn't tell folks to stay away from Norwegian farmers as well due to some of them being very good.

Check out SeafoodWatch.org for the best, most responsibly farmed seafood.

They are open ocean farming cobia now. I still have a 7# red abalone in the deep freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom