Lox v Smoked Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some friends, well more like acquaintances, in business. There is this fish company in NY I always buy stuff. They have the best lox and the best caviar ever. They've told me that it is not a problem to re-freeze lox. Ok, maybe not do it every day, but when I schlep stuff from NY here, it always gets defrosted, so I always put back in the freezer. No change in taste at all.

Hi Chuck. Happy Hanukah to you and yours. Having lived in the midst of a Jewish community, I really do understand just how important Hanakah and Yom Kippur are to all of our Jewish friends. One year my landlord who lived on the first floor invited my family to their Hanukah Celebration. It was a lot of fun. They even had a present for each of my kids. My poor kids couldn't get over that they didn't have a Christmas. How do you explain it when the oldest is only five years old.

The one thing I do remember most is that the schools closed for Yom Kippur and not for the Christmas Holiday. Now that was a new one for me.

For Yom Kippur, I made sure my kids stayed in the house so that his family could put that time to their prayers.

I forgot about the shaved red onions.

Or sometimes I like a few capers on a bagel, lox, and a schmear.

That's how we do a lox on bagel sandwich in Montreal too. Of course, we prefer it on Montreal bagels. That sandwich is perfection, even without any nostalgia. I have learned to put the capers on the cream cheese and press them lightly into it. That keeps them from rolling away.

What's the difference between a regular bagel (NYC style) and a Montreal bagel, Taxy?

I feel like I'm walking into a joke, here.

It is a food rivalry, kinda' like the Pork Roll vs taylor ham thing.

CD

What's the difference between a regular bagel (NYC style) and a Montreal bagel, Taxy?

I feel like I'm walking into a joke, here.
Yup, it's a big time food rivalry.

Here's the visual difference

Montreal-Bagel-Vs.-New-York.jpg

The Montreal bagels are smaller and chewier. They are boiled in honey water. They are usually baked in a wood burning oven. They are often eaten straight out of the bag, with nothing else. They are quite good that way.

This is one of the two most famous bagel shops in Montreal, Saint-Viateur Bagels.

bagel-st-viateur-mile-end1.jpg

I used to live around the corner from that one. :yum:

Wow, those look really good. I like a more chewy bagel. So many places make them too big and poofy.

Kinda like people who refer to Taylor Ham as pork roll.

Wow, those look really good. I like a more chewy bagel. So many places make them too big and poofy.

Kinda like people who refer to Taylor Ham as pork roll.
I really like those bagels. I tried a bagel in NYC and I found it too poofy.

One of the things I love about that bagel shop is that you can see the mountain of dough and one or two people cutting and rolling the bagels, while you wait in line. That takes place outside that picture, to the left. They usually come with "white seed" (sesame seeds) or "black seed" (poppy seeds). That's the traditional way to ask for them. :LOL:

There are good bagels here, and there are bad ones. I guess the blessing is that we have a choice.

Traditinally, a NYC bagel is semi- large and dense with a good crust.

Unlike people from South Jersey and Philly who are more of the latter two.

Last edited:
I like NYC-style bagels, myself, along with Philly soft pretzels, which are made in a very similar way to bagels.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom