Lump vs. Backfin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
You would think I knew by now, living near MD, where they brag about their crabcakes and crabs in general. Is it just a matter of personal taste, or is one form of crabmeat "better" to use in cooking?

Depends on what you're making; traditionally, and for the 'wow' factor, like in crabcakes, lump or jumbo lump, because you leave great big 'lumps' to bite into. If you're making a stuffing, or drip, then backfin is fine. Or even 'special'. I don't like claw meat, tho - at least to buy it. I think it's kind of chewy and not as flavorful.

Lump crabmeat is the unbroken muscle connected to the swimming legs of the crab, while backfin is a blend of broken lump and the remaining meat taken from the crab’s body. Lump costs a small fortune here, and I find backfin very flavorable and perfect for just about everything I use crab for, especially crab cakes and imperial. I agree with Marmalady that the preference depends on the dish, and I couldn’t agree with her more about the chewiness and blandness of clawmeat.

Since we left coasters have to settle for Dungeness most of the time - tho the king and snow coming down from the Bering in Dec and Jan are nothing to crab about, I'd love to hear a similar discussion about the west coast crabs. Please.

BTW, what is drip?

I'm with Audio on this one,
I use plain ole backfin for my crabcakes, lump is just wayyy too expensive. I will however spring for the lump or jumbo lump if I'm making a crab salad or crab cocktail.
As for the claw meat, I always put a pound of it in my crabsoup. I kinda like the taste and texture, but that's just me I guess ;)
John.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom