Monk Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Her hubby must have had a hard time keeping a straight face!

Thanks for the great picture, Kayelle. Good one!

Bolas, you're such a bad, bad boy!! :devilish::dry: I just had to find a picture of one. :ROFLMAO:

img_980342_0_b591c0f4f5f1d6f4126960c29aae50a2.jpg
AHHHHH fond memories.It gets worse, my next M-I-L was worse, my next wife and I went to a medieval banquet, I gave the waiter a few quid for the pigs head with the apple in its mouth, it was the time of the Godfather film, the rest is history:)

I grew up in Illinois so most seafood was rather pricey. On special occasions, my parents used to get monk fish and grill it. We joked that it was mock lobster.

I can't find monk fish anywhere these days. Is it expensive now?

Monkfish is a big angler fish. Ugly as sin with a huge mouth and one of its dorsal spines is modified as a fishing lure. It just sits on the bottom, wiggling the lure in front of its mouth and waits for a fish. They are about 50 to 60 lbs. In truth they have nick named it poor man's lobster. It used to be caught only as by catch and monks could buy it cheap because nobody else wanted it, hence the name monkfish.

Looks like I'll have to stick with lutefisk

I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but the local locker plant should have fresh walleye, lake trout, and other local white fish. Although, I probably wouldn't use fresh walleye in chowder...that's my favorite part about going to MN during fishing season....I make sure my dad stops at the lockerplant before I arrive so I can have walleye my first night home...and last summer, when we went to the cabin at Lake of the Woods, we ate fresh, caught-that-day walleye 4 nights in a row. In a heartbeat, I'd make chowder out of the fresh fish at the locker plant before I'd resort to lutefisk. I can't imagine a chowder with lutefisk in it.:sick:

Roasted Monkfish w/ Warm Tomato Vinegarette

I like to lardon a good sized piece of monkfish with anchovy fillets, rub it with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and lay it in a roasting pan on braches of rosemary. Lay a few rosemary branches on top also, and drizzle with more olive oil. While monkfish is roasting make a warm vinegarette and add diced, peeled and seeded tomato. Serve the vinegarette over the roasted monkfish. Absolutely delicious!

Monk Fish

The price of monk fish is reflected by the demand. People have caught up to this one. It was once considered the poor man's lobster as the meat was similar in texture and very flavorful. Is sold in most supermarkets along the Atlantic Coast. Price has gone up considerably since it was introduced some years ago as fish is not that plentiful and easy to catch.

Monkfish around here isn't really expensive at all when compared to other more "gourmet" fish. I can regularly get it for between $8.99-$10.99/lb. for the "filets" (each side of the tail bone as only the tail piece is eaten in Monkfish - the rest is all head & guts). And at one market (Wegman's) the silverskin-like membrane is even removed for you beforehand. That silverskin is one reason why I don't buy Monkfish as often as I like to. It's VERY versatile, and when I do buy it, I usually cut it into medallions & saute it, or roast/braise it Catalan-style (a spicy orange-spiked tomato sauce). It's also absolutely wonderful in any type of fish soup (chowder, Bouillabaise, Cioppino, etc.), since it doesn't disintegrate into nothingness like other white fish.

Back
Top Bottom