Monsieur Le Mudbug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Picked up a 32# sack yesterday at Restaurant Depot for $2.99 a pound. The boil is on today.

36788-albums322-picture7320.jpg

How do you keep 'em happy till later today? do you put them on ice like little lobsters?

I've always wanted to try a "Boil Party"!

But at least, I'm going to a big Fiddler's Frolic with all you can eat Boil this Saturday with my Mom!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Ice underneath and on top, end opposite the drain elevated so water doesn't accumulate in the bottom. Before being cooked they get rinsed several times and then purged with salted water for 15 minutes and rinsed one last time. These aren't pond raised, so there isn't as much crap mixed in with them.

Just the 2 of us tonight. We are both dead tired after all the running around today and then prepping for dinner and cooking. Plus I am prepping things to take to DD and GDDs for fondue. Tomorrow I'll take them some when I head over to the other coast. We'll give some to the ladies across the street. The next door neighbor can't eat spicy and the man across the street doesn't like spicy food. The rest will have heads removed and frozen in 1.5 pound bags so we'll end up with about a pound of meat per bag when tail shell is removed.

Last edited:
Dinner. I can't believe the size of a whole bunch of them.

Attachments

• 2018-04-27 19.14.28.jpg
    2018-04-27 19.14.28.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 247
I love crawdads. However, I am a lazy eater and it is sooooo much effort to eat them. I've only had fresh, clean river caught ones from water you could drink. Not sure how I'd do with real muddy mud bugs

I haven't done a crawfish boil in a few years. My rig is gathering dust in the garage. I want to do one this year, but time is running out.

Early in this crawfish season, the catch was sparse and small, due to the cold late winter this year. But, it is looking pretty good, now. Those crawfish Craig bought look pretty good.

CD

Photos: From a crawfish boil at Crystal Beach, TX. Yes, the crawfish looks better than me, but I didn't get boiled and eaten. I'll take that as a win.

Attachments

• BeachBash2011_081.jpg
    BeachBash2011_081.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0477.JPG
    DSC_0477.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
That's over half an ear of fresh corn. There were some honkers in there. Some of the claws were big enough to make them worth cracking to pick the meat.

Wow. Our RD doesn't have anything like this. Not even decent fish.

Wow, ours has whole fish, plus fillets, plus all kinds of shellfish, clams, oysters, cockles, etc, plus urchins in season. They've had bags of crawfish available for a couple of weeks now. You might try callling and asking because Craig found out by accident the first year they had them. But, Charlie, I seriously doubt crawfish are kosher since they are bottom feeders like shrimp.

Wow, ours has whole fish, plus fillets, plus all kinds of shellfish, clams, oysters, cockles, etc, plus urchins in season. They've had bags of crawfish available for a couple of weeks now. You might try callling and asking because Craig found out by accident the first year they had them. But, Charlie, I seriously doubt crawfish are kosher since they are bottom feeders like shrimp.

;) They are not. My point was that we don't have anything like that in our store. Not even fresh fish. Some frozen one yes, but that's it. Store in Miami, whatever the actual location, is amazing compare to ours.

Wow, ours has whole fish, plus fillets, plus all kinds of shellfish, clams, oysters, cockles, etc, plus urchins in season. They've had bags of crawfish available for a couple of weeks now.

That's the difference between living on the coast and in the upper Midwest ;)

That's the difference between living on the coast and in the upper Midwest ;)

I doubt that's why, it's probably what people actually buy more so than location. We, obviously, get things from LA, and they have oysters and mussels from up north, as well as periwinkles and cockles. The big oriental market we go to gets live geoduck and Dungeness from the U.S. West Coast so distance is obviously not a factor.

Back
Top Bottom