Mudbugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MUST suck the head, sounds bad but that is where the flavor is. Same with the claws, pull the "thumb" out and suck the juice.

Yeah Buddy!

For those who haven't done it, hold the crawdad in your right hand with the head towards your left hand. Then, gently bend the head down while putting your right thumb at the "breaking point" between the head and body. When it "breaks", you'll feel it loosen. Then just carefully pull the head away from the body. Some of the wonderful head stuff comes away with it! It's absolutely fantastic tasting!

Then, lay the head down for a few seconds. Pull the shell off the tail meat by breaking it sideways from the top. Once you have it off to near the end tail, you can pull the meat from the rest and remove any legs that are still attached.

NOW, throw that meat into your mouth, pick up the head again and put your thumb under it and your index and middle finger on either side of the head. Press firmly with your thumb while slurping the juices from the head in one prolonged, noisy slurpppppppp!

If any juices drip down your arm, it's permissible to lick your arm to get them!

The head juices mixing with the tail meat in your mouth are just to-die-for, and make eating crawdads ten times as good as just eating the tail meat!

Serious Yums on the Yum Meter!

Last edited:
What was the dead count? Remember, if the tails don't curl, toss them.;)

I've found that cooking the vegis and sausage first, works the best. Cook the bugs after the other stuff is done. Keep it warm in a cooler while the bugs cook and soak. A buddy told me to add ice to the pot after the bugs are done to drop the temperature just enough to stop the cooking. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Once dumped on the news paper with the other stuff added, sprinkle generously with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning.

Lots of beer and then "Laissez les bons temps rouler."

Craig

Last edited:
I don't see any that are blatantly dead, Craig. I thought I saw a large one that didn't make it, but his tail curled when I poked his belly, so lucky him ;) I'll be sure to toss any straight ones as I'm eating them though.

I had decided to use AB's cooking method, which is groceries in first for ten minutes, then bugs for three, turn off heat and soak for ten. A little shorter on the cooking and soaking time, but he doesn't ice them or spray the outside of the pot down like one vid that I saw. I kind of like the idea of cooking everything together anyway, like a clambake. It's a starting point and things may change for future boils. I'm also going to do the mudbugs in two batches. I figure I'll only be able to eat half anyway,,, :pig: That will work better with the small basket my neighbor had with his cooker.

Mise en place :chef:

Attachments

• crawfish2 mise en place.jpg
    crawfish2 mise en place.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 211
I don't see any that are blatantly dead, Craig. I thought I saw a large one that didn't make it, but his tail curled when I poked his belly, so lucky him ;) I'll be sure to toss any straight ones as I'm eating them though.

I had decided to use AB's cooking method, which is groceries in first for ten minutes, then bugs for three, turn off heat and soak for ten. A little shorter on the cooking and soaking time, but he doesn't ice them or spray the outside of the pot down like one vid that I saw. I kind of like the idea of cooking everything together anyway, like a clambake. It's a starting point and things may change for future boils. I'm also going to do the mudbugs in two batches. I figure I'll only be able to eat half anyway,,, :pig: That will work better with the small basket my neighbor had with his cooker.

Mise en place :chef:

What time is dinner? :pig:

IMHO, 10 min is not a long enough soak unless the spice is way up there, but then again I do like it a bit spicy.:D

You know what, stay the course. This is the first time and if you get it "perfect" then the next time will be "perfect +1".;):D

Glad to hear of the low death loss, that is awsome!

Next time you boil snow crab do it the same way, but let them soak in there until you eat them. Only take out what you'll eat each time. Our fav for sure.

HAVE FUN, PACMAN! GOOD TO BE THE KING, EH? Give us a full report with pix. remember, no pix, didn't happen.;)

Blatantly dead as opposed to subtly dead? Glad all the victims pulled through, Pac. Have you named them all yet?

Looking forward to the pics and report!

Big Al, I was thinking of stretching that second soak out a bit. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah, blatantly, lol. Not moving a'tall.

Well, I can say that I've had mudbugs.

Attachments

• crawfish3.jpg
    crawfish3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 225
They look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions. I had "mudbugs" years ago and they had a flat muddy taste. Because I only had them once I am not sure if it was the batch I happened to get or if that is the true taste before all of the seasoning is applied. How were yours?

Did you share them with the chickens?

They look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two questions. I had "mudbugs" years ago and they had a flat muddy taste. Because I only had them once I am not sure if it was the batch I happened to get or if that is the true taste before all of the seasoning is applied. How were yours?

Did you share them with the chickens?

Bea, I'm sure Pacanis will answer, but from my experience, yes, crawdads can taste muddy, but that's primarily due to the season they're collected, just like catfish. The colder the weather, the better they taste. Also, they may reassemble shrimp, but the flavor is entirely different. Spicing seasoning masks any "off" flavor. Old Bay with a healthy dose of cayenne pepper is often used.

Thanks. I think they came out pretty good, and the veggies were done just right, too.

They were good but... I won't be cooking them again. Too much work for too little return. The tips of my thumbs are still sore. Give me a clambake anyday over a crawfish boil.
You've got these nice big bodies and these little tails... with a very hard shell... Quite a bit different than peal and eat shrimp. I was getting good at it, but it's still a little work and they cooled off quickly.
No muddy taste that I noticed, but I also sprinkled cajun seasoning on them, as you can see. There was a marine kind of smell, which I didn't expect. That did not seem to affect the taste though. They didn't taste fishy.
And I've got a lot left over. One of the vids I saw said to figure 5-6 lbs/person. And I'm a big eater, but the amount left over from the first batch even told me that I was getting bored eating them. I found myself gravitating towards the other stuff, the sausage and veggies.

So, I'm glad I made them. I would eat them at a party. I would not place an order for 10 lbs again, lol.

And no, none for my hens. Surprisingly, one of my dogs stayed outside with me while I was eating and even she didn't eat one... and she LOVES shrimp... I found that odd.

Back in the days long gone, we used to catch them by the bucket full. I do not know why, but they were really big, more like a lobster rather than the scrawny ones you see in the store. We'd simply boil them with some salt and lots of dill and then enjoy with some cold beer. Nothing goes better together on a hot summer day. The amount of calories you get from diner like that ... I don't believe you need any sides or vegies or anything else.

pacanis said:
Well, I can say that I've had mudbugs.

That is a gorgeous picture! If I owned a restaurant that served crayfish I'd be pestering you to let me use that photo for advertising (for pay of course :) ). Seriously, magazine worthy.

Hmm, from the sounds of it, it would be a fun meal to eat with others since you could chat and such and take your mind off of the work of eating.

Thanks Purple.

Yes, exactly. It's a fun type of meal. Something to be enjoyed in the company of others. Not that I don't enjoy food all by myself, but I'd say it is more like a party food. I can't imagine those guys that said they go through 5-6 lbs each though, even standing around partying. That's a lot of peeling. Give me a nice big plate with opened mussels and clams and one nice sized lobster.

Back
Top Bottom