Mussels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, K'elf. Ya know, I had a feeling the taste and/or texture might be similar to (fried or smoked?) oysters or clams. Will have to go to a restaurant & give them a try. Thanks.

You're welcome. I'm strange I guess as I don't care for mussels in a red sauce. I wish you could just buy some and do them at home - they are so much better! Carrabba's has good mussels but they are loaded with butter and are so rich! Probably the best I've had though. Olive Garden's were not that good. Look for a wine sauce...IMHO, of course. :chef:

Well, you've all taked me into trying mussels. Wanted to ask my friend for a taste, but that Friends' episode with Joey yelling "Joey doesn't share food" stuck in my head. :LOL: j/k ;)

Once a month, we do a "Seafood Extravaganza" buffett. I make the sauces. One of those is a white wine / butter / garlic / shallot sauce that gets poured over steamed littleneck clams. I'd be willing to bet one of the chihuahua's that this sauce would also be excellent served with steamed mussels, some really good garlic bread, and a glass of good white wine.

The flavor is mild; the texture is softer & less chewy than a cooked clam - closer to a cooked oyster. And no fresh seafood is going to ever be even remotely similar to smoked seafood - totally apples vs. oranges.

Apples and oranges both taste like fruit to me.....
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Sorry ;) That was a pretty good description, they are definitely less chewy than clams.

KE, that recipe was the sole reason I bought a stick blender. And now that I have it, off to pick up leeks and the other stuff I don't have :)

I love mussels and Ive been on a mussel kick lately.

ill eat a 2lb bag no problem

I get the large ones. I got a seafood distributer who has a shop aroudn the block from me. they ae gotten to know me pretty welll and hook me up.

I had a nice mussell that was about twice the sizxe of my thumb.

my mussels

butter
clam juice
chicken stock
sherry
roasted garlic

bring to a simmer. dump in mussels. steam away

grab a piece of bread and dip.

simple easy and tasty.

Ive made them a million different ways and it always rocks.

Jeeks, try this one for another variation:

Pan Steamed Mussesls with a Thai Curry Nage

Yield: 1 lb. Mussels

1 tsp. finely minced garlic
1 Tbsp. finely minced Galangal or Ginger
1 Tbsp. Lemongrass, white parts only, very finely minced
1 Tbsp. Shallot, finely minced
2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
1/2 c. Clam Juice
1/2 c. Cococut Milk
2 tsp. Green Thai Curry paste, or to taste
Fish Sauce to taste (optional)
Palm Sugar (optional)
1 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter (optional)
Salt to taste
Cilantro Sprigs
Lime Wedges (optional)
1 lb. Fresh Mussels
Canola Oil

Method:

Saute lemongrass, ginger, shallots, and garlic in oil until tender and fragrant. Add curry paste and saute for 1 minute to bloom the flavors. Add kaffir lime leaves, mussels, and liquids, then cook until mussels are done. Remove mussels from pan, check broth for seasoning. Add salt and more curry paste if desired, and season to taste with fish sauce and palm sugar. Swirl in butter off the heat, then pour over mussels using a fine mesh strainer. Top with cilantro sprigs and serve with lime wedges if desired.

IC. How funny. I have a lemongrass plant but nothing to use it for. LOL

Anyway, I still need to make the chorizo variation you gave me. I haven't forgot about that.

This recipe sounds intriguing. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom