My Favorite Fish Fry Batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many moons ago (before dirt was invented) my sister fried up a bunch of fish using cracker meal. It was so tasty, crunchy and full of flavor. I still use the old standby my husband taught me. Flour, eggs w/cream and bread crumbs and your standard seasoning.

Gee, if I kept all the alcohol in the house just for culinary purposes, folks would think I had opened a liquor store. I think I should take up drinking. There must be something to it. Enough folks do it every day. I just hate wearing that clothespin on my nose. :angel:

Thank you Snip. Huh, no egg, interesting. Will have to try it.

Actually beer batter was my list favorite.

another go-to tempura batter. You can use this one when you have no carbonated beverages, and it still makes a ridiculously light, and crispy tempura batter that goes well with almost everything.

1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk or water

Combine all dry ingredients with a whisk. beat egg and liquid together, then add to the dry ingredients. Whisk together to make a smooth batter. Dip in whatever you want, even veggies. I've used it with cubed chicken, fish fillets, cubed pork, onion rings, pumpkin and squash blossoms, etc. I've seasoned it with simple salt and pepper, just salt, Old Bay, garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce.

Cubed chicken dipped in the batter, and cooked until lightly brown, served up with your favorite sweet & sour sauce is fabulous. My S & S sauce is made with chicken stock,crushed pineapple, brown sugar, ginger, soy sauce, a dash of Chinese 5-spice, ginger, and vinegar. It's thickened with a cornstarch slurry. I've also changed it up and used lemon juice instead of vinegar, white sugar instead of brown sugar, omit the soy sauce. This is great with fish or chicken.

I have a couple of friends who had fish made with thsi batter, and a nephew whose had the cubed chicken with it. They both raved about it, and so I know it's a good batter.

It just goes to show that there are a number of ways to accomplish a great dish, any great dish, in the world of cooking. There is no "best way" to make anything. And I like to try as many ways as I can.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom