My Favorite Fish Fry Batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
I have experimented a bit with different batters for frying fish and we like this one the best. So far.
Very light & delicious. Simple.

1 1/4 cups ALL PUPOSE FLOUR
Pinch SALT
2 EGGS, separated
8oz. BEER
1 Tblsp. OIL

Sift FLOUR and SALT into a Bowl.
Add EGG YOLKS, BEER & OIL.
Beat until smooth and let stand for about 30 minutes.

Beat EGG WHITES until STIFF & GENTLY FOLD into BATTER.

Dip FISH in batter and allow excess batter to Drain Off before Frying.

Oh great this sounds perfect Chef Maloney.:yum:

I usually buy a premix packet of beer batter from the shop as I have never had much luck in making my own.

Will be trying this one out for sure.

Thanks for sharing this ... I've never tried one with beaten egg white but it sure makes sense !!

I think I'll give this recipe a go next time I make battered fish.

For my fish batter, this is my preferred recipe:

1/4 C + 1/2 C separated Flour
1/4 C Corn Meal
1 Beer (I keep Bud Light in the fridge for culinary purposes)
2 Eggs beaten
A couple teaspoons of Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tabasco Sauce
About Half a cup of Milk
A couple good squirts mustard
Salt & Pepper or Tony's Chachere's cajun seasoning

01. Combine 1/2 C Flour with salt & pepper or cajun seasoning in bowl 1
02. In bowl two combine eggs, beer, milk, hot sauce and mustard and mix well
03. In bowl 3 combine 1/4 C Corn Meal + additional 1/4 Flour and more salt and pepper or cajun seasoning
04. Then flour in bowl 1, dunk well in bowl 2 and finally dredge well in bowl 3, then fry

Also after cooked squirting some fresh lemon juice over the fish adds some additional flavor
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...a=X&ei=i4CyUPiPHMiwqQHb14CgDw&ved=0CC0QvwUoAA

I would think club soda would work just fine. You won't have the flavor of the beer in the batter but you would still have the benefits of the carbonation.

I would think club soda would work just fine. You won't have the flavor of the beer in the batter but you would still have the benefits of the carbonation.

True, never thought of that, but down here in South LA we use a beer batter for frying a lot of things, lmao

I can never taste the beer in a fried beer batter anyway. I didn't in the OP's original recipe anyway. The folded in egg whites sure made it light though. It was certainly the lightest batter I ever had.

This one looks nice too. thanks :)

For my fish batter, this is my preferred recipe:

1/4 C + 1/2 C separated Flour
1/4 C Corn Meal
1 Beer (I keep Bud Light in the fridge for culinary purposes)
2 Eggs beaten
A couple teaspoons of Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tabasco Sauce
About Half a cup of Milk
A couple good squirts mustard
Salt & Pepper or Tony's Chachere's cajun seasoning

01. Combine 1/2 C Flour with salt & pepper or cajun seasoning in bowl 1
02. In bowl two combine eggs, beer, milk, hot sauce and mustard and mix well
03. In bowl 3 combine 1/4 C Corn Meal + additional 1/4 Flour and more salt and pepper or cajun seasoning
04. Then flour in bowl 1, dunk well in bowl 2 and finally dredge well in bowl 3, then fry

Also after cooked squirting some fresh lemon juice over the fish adds some additional flavor
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...a=X&ei=i4CyUPiPHMiwqQHb14CgDw&ved=0CC0QvwUoAA

I've tried few different batter recipes but none of them really match up for the crunchy fish fry I had in the restaurant the other day. It was so soft and crunchy, even better than many other restaurant fish fry I had before.
I had craving for fish last night and since i had a whole bunch of flounder fillets I decide to try to make it crunchy. I tried tree different recipes, none of the were really crunchy.

Any suggestions here? Is there secrets restaurants use? I did deep fry it in hot oil, but result was the same as if i simply fried in the regular pan.
Please help.

Not sure how the restaurants do it but here's my fish batter. It's very crispy.

1 cup of all purpose flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
1 cup of sparkling water (ice cold)
1 tsp of paprika (optional)
1/2 tsp each of garlic and onion powder (optional)

Whisk all of the ingredients well. A few small lumps are fine. Add more water if batter is too thick.

Dip each piece of fish, allow extra batter to drip off. Deep fry at 425F till crispy and golden.

Back
Top Bottom