Need Advice Re: Resmoking Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
DH brought home $12 worth of smoked grocery store salmon. Unfortunately, it's bland and flavorless. Would it help if I resmoked it in my Cameron stovetop smoker? Or would that just dry it out? It's fairly dry now, which is how we prefer our SS.

I have alder, oak, cherry and hickory chips. Maybe the alder? Thanks!

Hi Dawg, I wouldn't re-smoke it , that will for sure , dry it out. The only thing I can think of , is to either use liquid smoke brushed on or make a salmon dip and spice it to your liking.

Thanks, S&P, that was kinda my thought too, but wasn't sure.

Is it hot or cold smoked? I would think if it is cold smoked and you were to cold smoke longer that would be ok, but hot smoking something already hot smoked would make it dry.

It doesn't say, Frank. It's already fairly dry, so am assuming hot? DH likes it as is, so he will be getting plenty of Omega 3 this week.

I might experiment with resmoking a small piece.

It is likely hot smoked then..

Not as much a fan of hot smoked salmon as cold smoked.

FrankZ said:
It is likely hot smoked then..

Not as much a fan of hot smoked salmon as cold smoked.

Good to know! I think that goes for me too. Took another nibble, and I hereby pronounce it inedible (for me). DH can have at it. I don't care for salmon unless it is smoked. Will narrow that preference to cold smoked!

It doesn't say, Frank. It's already fairly dry, so am assuming hot? DH likes it as is, so he will be getting plenty of Omega 3 this week.

I might experiment with resmoking a small piece.

Can't you tell by the colour? Hot smoked would be cooked, while cold smoked would be raw. The difference in colour and texture between raw and cooked salmon is huge. Just a tiny bit of heat and that pretty pink colour starts to go very pale.

Actually, the salmon we caught from Lake Huron was pale in color. I made some gravlaax with it, and it was good. But yes, this texture is more like cooked.

Last edited:
How do you all use hot smoked salmon. The only ways I know are shred and mix with sour cream for a dip, shred and mix with cream cheese for a spread, or both, and knock your sox off, or smear cream cheese on a bagel and top with smoked salmon. What are some other choices?/ thanks.

When I would visit my friends in Kodiak, Alaska, they smoked their wild salmon that they caught during the salmon run. They started the smoking early in the morning before the bears were up and kept an eye on it all day. Then when it was done, they hung it high in the trees to dry out of reach of the bears. They would smoke enough to last them all winter. I was fortunate enough that they gave me some to bring home. :chef:

When I would visit my friends in Kodiak, Alaska, they smoked their wild salmon that they caught during the salmon run. They started the smoking early in the morning before the bears were up and kept an eye on it all day. Then when it was done, they hung it high in the trees to dry out of reach of the bears. They would smoke enough to last them all winter. I was fortunate enough that they gave me some to bring home. :chef:

That's the perfect idea! Bear Bait!:LOL::LOL:

I love smoked salmon, I make Salmon Salad with Capers, Mayo, Lemon juice and Dill. Usually to top crackers or a cold pasta.

Don't tease the taxlady by talking about smoked salmon when you mean hot smoked salmon. Hot smoked is cooked. Pft, phooey :sick: :wacko: :eek:

Thanks Friar and Somebunny for the ideas that I actually can use. I am lucky to have 2 unopened portions that were not served during the holidays. They have a reasonable outdate, and may be a treat during the superbowl. Still, I would like to serve them in a different way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom