Need Tilapia help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Each time we've made talapia, we make it the same way: each fillet goes into a foil pouch, along with butter, lemon slices, green onion slices, garlic & pepper.

But, I bought some for tomorrow's dinner & it occurred to me that dh won't be home till right at suppertime, and I can't grill to save my life.

Can this same foil-pouch idea work in the oven?

I do foil pouches in the oven and they work just fine..I also took some talapia and did a piccata with it DH loved it..
kades

Rachel Ray did, but she used parchment paper I believe. She also used EVOO instead of the butter, but I think the rest is the same as what you are doing. So, I would say yes you can use the foil, but since it retains heat more than parchment paper you will have to adjust so as not to overcook it.

thanks you two!

What temp would you use, and how long?
(keep in mind I've been cooking for years, but I've only been "trying" to eat seafood for a year, and when I do, dh grills it each time)

One of the ways Buck and I like tilapia is to dip in beaten egg then in panko crumbs. Put on waxed paper in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, then cook, on both sides, in about 1/4 inch of canola oil until crisp. Season with salt and pepper and serve with tartar sauce. Sooooo good. Quick, too.

Katie, pan frying is still my favorite way!
As for oven temps and times, depends on the size of the foil packet, but I would hazard if you put two fillets in each packet then maybe 350 for 20 minutes. But wait for others to answer first, I may be wrong here! Might be as little as 15 minutes, or someone has a better method on lower heat longer, or higher heat shorter.

One of the ways Buck and I like tilapia is to dip in beaten egg then in panko crumbs. Put on waxed paper in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, then cook, on both sides, in about 1/4 inch of canola oil until crisp. Season with salt and pepper and serve with tartar sauce. Sooooo good. Quick, too.
:) Just made some tonight fried like catfish and home made tarter sauce. I will hafto try the panko next time. I love Tilapia so mild it makes a great fish sandwich.

My oven runs hot so I put mine on at 325 for 15-20 min. depending on thickness..
And do open the foil as they come out of the oven otherwise they will continue to cook.
kades

jkath... Tilapia is a wonderfish... you can cook it so many ways!

Take the time to explore some other recipes (google tilapia recipes)...
you will really have fun expanding your fish repetoire!

I am a recent convert to fish... heck, I just bought a 5 pound bag of catfish "nuggets",
after 47 years of thinking catfish was nasty.

It is all in the cooking, LOL!

good to see there's hope for my palate!

I do have a recipe I've eaten, but now want to make for myself - macadamia crusted talapia. Now THAT's tasty!

good fish

:chef:

pretty much what i do, except for the time in fridg. what does that do. always looking for new ways.

babe

If you have a sautee pan that can go in the oven, I'd suggest the following: season the Tilapia with a bit of lemon pepper (if you don't have that, use S&P), then set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the pan on the stove; when it starts to get hot, add a tsp of butter and 1 TBSP of olive oil. Sautee the fish over high heat long enough to get it a bit crusty, then flip the fish, cook another 1/2 minute and pop it in the oven. Time will depend on the oven & the fish, but start at about 8-10 minutes.

Take care to use a potholder when you remove from the oven. If you like, you can deglaze the pan with a bit of lemon & wine, then add some heavy cream and capers and reduce on the stovetop. This makes a nice topper for the Tilapia.

Tilapia also works well in a parchment paper pouch. Much like the foil, it will steam the fish but it's a bit more permeable than foil. I like to season the fish with salt, pepper and fresh dill, then top with a couple slices of lemon and a pat of butter. Then fold the parchment under and bake as you would with foil.

I've had beer-battered tilapia once, while I still lived up in Michigan. That was good! I think there was some extra malt powder mixed into the batter, as it tasted extra-strong.

A beer-battered tilapia fillet sounds like a good sandwich idea. HMM.....gears start working, maybe a new menu idea at work......

Man, I've got to stop doing that!

If you have a sautee pan that can go in the oven, I'd suggest the following: season the Tilapia with a bit of lemon pepper (if you don't have that, use S&P), then set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the pan on the stove; when it starts to get hot, add a tsp of butter and 1 TBSP of olive oil. Sautee the fish over high heat long enough to get it a bit crusty, then flip the fish, cook another 1/2 minute and pop it in the oven. Time will depend on the oven & the fish, but start at about 8-10 minutes.

Take care to use a potholder when you remove from the oven. If you like, you can deglaze the pan with a bit of lemon & wine, then add some heavy cream and capers and reduce on the stovetop. This makes a nice topper for the Tilapia.

Tilapia also works well in a parchment paper pouch. Much like the foil, it will steam the fish but it's a bit more permeable than foil. I like to season the fish with salt, pepper and fresh dill, then top with a couple slices of lemon and a pat of butter. Then fold the parchment under and bake as you would with foil.

that sounds delicious, Rob.

You've probably already solved your tilapia issues, but I thought I'd sound in anyway, as nobody mentioned broiling it, and I just made broiled tilapia tonight. Place on parchment paper or greased foil and broil it 4-5 inches from the heat (any kind of pan will do-- broiler pan not necessary) for about seven minutes, til it flakes.

Hey! great idea - why haven't I thought of broiling?!
Thanks so much karenlyn - and welcome to discusscooking too!

:)

Back
Top Bottom