Octopus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read an article yesterday that the arms on an octopus have separate brains from their body. So if you choose to eat one of them raw, they can still be alive and their suction cups would possibly still work. Who knew? Nine brains? I know a lot of people who could use an extra brain or two. :angel:

I have read about and watched a show concerning this very recently. But they did not go as far as to say the tentacles had their own individual brains, but that they (tentacles) were extremely sensitive.
I will need to do more research Addie to be certain. But I am certain the octopus has one brain and is quite intelligent.

The diver in this show had been tangled up with a giant octopus and was dangerously close to being drowned. He was able to free himself by pinching the tentacles. Each time he pinched a tentacle, the octopus released that arm grip. In no time the diver was able to free himself using this pinching method.

So are we to braise the whole cleaned octopus until tender, before grilling it? How long do you braise/simmer/boil the creature before it is ready to be used in other dishes and for salads?

RB, the article was about eating raw baby octopus. It stated that each tentacle has a brain and does not die right away. It further stated that if you put a raw piece of the tentacle in your mouth and bite down it still alive and will attach one of it suction cups to your cheeks, tongue or even your esophagus when you swallow. In Japan where raw octopus is very popular, the chef will remove the suction cups when serving it raw. It also stated that because the tentacle has a brain of it own, you will often see it still moving on the plate when served raw. That was enough for me to make sure I never taste it when raw.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...7/even-severed-octopus-arms-have-smart-moves/ :angel:

Last edited:
RB, the article was about eating raw baby octopus. It stated that each tentacle has a brain and does not die right away. It further stated that if you put a raw piece of the tentacle in your mouth and bite down it still alive and will attach one of it suction cups to your cheeks, tongue or even your esophagus when you swallow. In Japan where raw octopus is very popular, the chef will remove the suction cups when serving it raw. It also stated that because the tentacle has a brain of it own, you will often see it still moving on the plate when served raw. That was enough for me to make sure I never taste it when raw. :angel:

Can you post the link to the article here or at least tell us what news source/blog it was located? Link would be better, AFAIC.

I want to thank you for sending me down another 'rabbit hole' of investigation. :)

I did find several quasi-scientific articles about "brains" in octopuses but that word ''brain" was in quotation marks making for some suspicion about a "brain" actually being in the tentacles. It's the neurons connected TO the brain in the skull that bring that mis-conception about.

But I agree with you----- I don't think raw octopus will ever pass between MY lips! I just got over my 'fear' of raw oysters, thanks to a SIL who could exist on them!

I did in response to RB post. See above. :angel:

Oops! Egg on my face! Thank you.

But that article also states it's the neurons, not a brain.
Just like frog legs will twitch in the frying pan.

But I agree with you----- I don't think raw octopus will ever pass between MY lips! I just got over my 'fear' of raw oysters, thanks to a SIL who could exist on them!

Raw oysters took some time for me to accept. Now they are one of my favorite all time foods.
Like you're SIL, I could eat raw fresh oysters every day.

I also would imagine raw octopus in serveche being very good.
I know i love octopus grilled and in red sauce, but would most definitely try it raw.

Raw oysters took some time for me to accept. Now they are one of my favorite all time foods.
Like you're SIL, I could eat raw fresh oysters every day.

I also would imagine raw octopus in serveche being very good.
I know i love octopus grilled and in red sauce, but would most definitely try it raw.

Pulpo (octopus) ceviche is very popular in the Yucatan.

They are some of the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen in the ocean. Masters of disguise, extremely intelligent, at times hard to find, and can turn any color. I did catch a show where a guy was learning how to dive for them in the traditional Hawaiian way, which entailed biting the poor things really hard behind the eyes. They immediately turned from vibrant color to dead gray.

That said, when cooked properly, they are delicious. A favorite restaurant in Mexico cooks a mixed seafood medley, including pulpo, all rolled into a fish fillet and baked with butter, cream and spices, in tinfoil. It is to die for.
Oh yes, they're interesting. I just meant they were ugly brutes when on the fishmonger's slab. I've only had it once since we left Spain and it was basically a curiosity in the shop.

I tried monk fish for the first time 30 years ago before it became fashionable and I saw the whole fish in the fishmonger's shop window. Now there is ugly! Fishmonger had bought it on a whim to put on display as a curiosity and it was dirt cheap. Try buying it now, though! The price has gone through the roof!

Can you post the link to the article here or at least tell us what news source/blog it was located? Link would be better, AFAIC.

I want to thank you for sending me down another 'rabbit hole' of investigation. :)

I did find several quasi-scientific articles about "brains" in octopuses but that word ''brain" was in quotation marks making for some suspicion about a "brain" actually being in the tentacles. It's the neurons connected TO the brain in the skull that bring that mis-conception about.

Ohhh oysters. Only had them once and loved them but I was very ill afterwards. It seems I'm allergic to them.

Ohhh oysters. Only had them once and loved them but I was very ill afterwards. It seems I'm allergic to them.

You may have gotten a bad one. I've eaten "raws" for decades, and got a bad one in New Orleans, some nasty food poisoning but thankfully it only lasted a brief time.

I have heard Monk fish referred to as poor mans lobster.
I like it very much, but rarely ever see it here. And yes it used to be quite affordable.

The Monk fish also has a trait exactly like the Angler fish. It has the fishing rod with lure sticking out of its head to attract, then gobble up any small fish that gets interested.
Is Monk fish and Angler fish the same thing or just scientifically related?

You may have gotten a bad one. I've eaten "raws" for decades, and got a bad one in New Orleans, some nasty food poisoning but thankfully it only lasted a brief time.
I had them near the coast in France and a few of us shared a platter. I was the only one and my symptoms were more allergy than food poisoning

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom