Octopus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It didn't move much so I wasn't worried.

It does kind of puff up and curl when it goes into the boiling water as the body contracts. :)

*boo*

It looks awesome! Grilled octopus is one of my top 5 favorites that I rarely get to enjoy. Was it alive?

Final product does look really good, Frank. I wasn't too sure about the first picture. Enjoy - maybe the weather will cooperate and yall can grill out.

It didn't move much so I wasn't worried.

It does kind of puff up and curl when it goes into the boiling water as the body contracts. :)

*boo*

It moving would freak me out...I understand why but my lizard brain runs shrieking around the room.:rolleyes:

I bought one last month and it was about 12 lbs. It came from Japan [they raise them there]. It was already cooked then frozen. When we were home I dissected it and placed each part in labeled dated baggies then put in the freezer for later. Grilled is good, but my daughters and wife prefer sushi style, and no sushi does not mean raw fish. Beware, when in a Japanese restaurant if you order octopus, they will call it tako, which sounds identical to taco. Cephalopods never taste like fish, they are not fish. If anything when they spoil, to me they smell like formaldehyde.

pmeheran said:
Beware, when in a Japanese restaurant if you order octopus, they will call it tako, which sounds identical to taco.

Haha! Just in case you were expecting ground beef and shredded cheese on your sushi rice!

There was nothing icky about it really. It is firm and not slimy, squishy or gelatinous.

If you can get past the sea monster looks...
Frank,
My first thought was Ick!!! I do like calamari but don't really like the chewiness of it but will get it down breaded, so I figured this would be chewy It looks as if I''m wrong again and the next time we go to Phils I'm looking to get some even if DH turns green:LOL: Kathleen's and your description's make my mouth water. Thanks for sharing with us. this looks wonderful
kades

f

I think I want to try octopus. I have eclectic tastes and usually like everything.

I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time and energy on cooking octopus but pretty sure I would like it prepared by someone else.

So---- who wants to cook some for me. (JUST KIDDING! :LOL:)
The gist of this----- I think I want just the baby octopus because it's supposed to be tenderer, right? I won't buy live ones, cause I don't think I could find them anyway---- and other reasons. :ohmy:

I saw a jar of baby octopus at the fish market today. Do you think they would be o.k.?

Second----- Grilled might be the way to go but what are the other ways?---- I love calamari rings that are fried in a light coating of crumbs. Could baby octopus be cooked that way?

I don't think a red sauce would be my first choice.

Anyway, what ideas can you guys and gals come up with?

I did octopus once in the dutch oven, there should be a thread about it. It took a while. My only regret was I used too much oregano in the pot. Oregano can be overpowering for me anymore, it used to not be that way.

The last time I did it was sous vide, there is a thread about it somewhere. :)

Both were a long time, I think 5 hours the first time and 8 the second.

Once it is cooked you could grill it then.

the last ones I did were really small, like a pound each, but I wouldn't call em babies.

Some people don't like baby octopus cause you eat them whole...

I didn't mind when I ate them.

Ugly brutes, aren't they. Taste good though if handled properly.

In Spain I was told that they had to be beaten 100 times before cooking in order to tenderise it. I was a bit dubious about this information until I saw a fisherman reel one in on the quay. He took it by the tentacles and proceeded to wallop it against the stone parapet of the quay.

Ugly brutes, aren't they. Taste good though if handled properly.

In Spain I was told that they had to be beaten 100 times before cooking in order to tenderise it. I was a bit dubious about this information until I saw a fisherman reel one in on the quay. He took it by the tentacles and proceeded to wallop it against the stone parapet of the quay.

They are some of the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen in the ocean. Masters of disguise, extremely intelligent, at times hard to find, and can turn any color. I did catch a show where a guy was learning how to dive for them in the traditional Hawaiian way, which entailed biting the poor things really hard behind the eyes. They immediately turned from vibrant color to dead gray.

That said, when cooked properly, they are delicious. A favorite restaurant in Mexico cooks a mixed seafood medley, including pulpo, all rolled into a fish fillet and baked with butter, cream and spices, in tinfoil. It is to die for.

Last edited:
I read an article yesterday that the arms on an octopus have separate brains from their body. So if you choose to eat one of them raw, they can still be alive and their suction cups would possibly still work. Who knew? Nine brains? I know a lot of people who could use an extra brain or two. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom