Our Lobster Rolls (K-L & SC)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
This recipe is based on the recipe from GZ who is a world class Chef, and appears regularly on The Kitchen cooking show on the Food Network.
We've reworked the recipe to suit us, so the following recipe belongs to us now. ;) (recipe copyright laws)
It makes the best lobster rolls we've ever made or eaten, even in Boston, or out here on the left coast.

--------(K-L and SC)--------
:chef::winkiss:[FONT=&quot]OUR LOBSTER ROLLS:yum:[/FONT]:chef:
[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 broiled lobster tails, meat removed cut in to large chunks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons chopped shallots [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons snipped chives [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 large French rolls, prepared[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 chopped Romaine lettuce leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons olive oil [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon red wine vinegar [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup Spicy Mayonnaise, recipe follows[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Spicy Mayonnaise: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup mayonnaise, such as Best Foods/Hellmann's[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 TBS Dijon mustard [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoons mustard powder, such as Hot Chinese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon lemon juice [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fresh snipped chives[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sriracha hot sauce, as needed [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kosher salt and fresh ground black or white pepper to taste
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Directions: [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Toss the lobster meat with 2 tablespoons melted butter, the shallots and chives and enough Spicy Mayo to moisten in a medium bowl. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Brush the cut sides of the prepared French rolls with the remaining 1/4 cup melted butter. Grill the buns, cut-side down, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Dress the lettuce leaves with the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Place the dressed lettuce leaves in the toasted buns and add the lobster meat. Drizzle with the Spicy Mayonnaise and garnish with the chives. Serve with lemon wedges. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Combine the mayo, Dijon mustard, mustard powder, lemon juice, snipped chives and seafood seasoning in a bowl. Season with Sriracha,S&P [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note: Remainder of Spicy mayo can be used as a green salad dressing for another time. I'll be adding fresh grated Parm, and a little white wine vinegar.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Attachments

• P5190071.jpg
    P5190071.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 357
I’m sorry but as a New Englander the only thing in a lobster roll is steamed or boiled lobster with the claws, since the claws are the best meat, and mayo. Maybe some minced celery. But you never want to overpower the delicate lobster.

I agree, jenny, although I felt that way even before we moved to MA.

Kayelle, Geoffrey may be a world-class chef, but he certainly overthought the lowly lobster. Still, if you and Souschef enjoy your lobster roll this way, I'm not going to stand in your way. But I can chow down on two of my rolls before you're done prepping your. :ermm: And THAT might not be a good thing. :LOL: :pig:

In our house, a cold lobster roll is a bit of mayo and celery laid on a little leaf of lettuce in a toasted bun. A warm lobster roll is cooked lobster drizzled with a bit of butter and laid in a toasted bun.

As always, it's different strokes for different folks.. it's the reason we all have have had fun at this place for so long. ;):flowers: It sure would be the pits if we all agreed on cooking anything.:D Not to mention it's always fun for me to have help in the kitchen, only when I want it.

Last edited:
I'm willing to try any and all lobster rolls! :yum: Kayelle's salad sounds great, but the basic lobster rolls are delicious too.

Kayelle, just change the name to Kayelle's fantabulous California lobster rolls. I'll order two! Can I get a few avocado slices on one of them? :chef:

I’m sorry but as a New Englander the only thing in a lobster roll is steamed or boiled lobster with the claws, since the claws are the best meat, and mayo. Maybe some minced celery. But you never want to overpower the delicate lobster.
I am sure Kayelle's recipe is wonderful, but as a Mainer, I totally agree with jennyema on this. Way back in the day, my Mama worked at Crosby's Drive In Bucksport, ME. All they ever put in their lobster rolls was kuckle/claw meat and some mayo.

Wow, so as a British person, who has never had a Lobster Roll, no point asking for where to go for the best one then? Can I just clarify - a Lobster Roll is a bread bun, filled with lobster meat (claw), and then some mayo. After that, the "perfect" one would either involve lettuce.... or not?

Wow, so as a British person, who has never had a Lobster Roll, no point asking for where to go for the best one then? Can I just clarify - a Lobster Roll is a bread bun, filled with lobster meat (claw), and then some mayo. After that, the "perfect" one would either involve lettuce.... or not?
I am sure it comes down to individuality. For me personally, I prefer the sweet lobster meat (knuckle/claw only...no tail meat) to be the show. The mayo that is applied is honestly just a binder. However, do not exclude the necessity of the bun. The bun I prefer is typically a brioche bun and makes the best lobster roll when buttered on the sides and baked prior to serving. And yes, I prefer lettuce on mine, which is fairly typical across Maine. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
I never liked lobster rolls, and I've had them from Massachusetts to Maine, because of the combination of lobster and mayonnaise.

Then, I had one that was made with drawn butter instead of mayo. That was much better, for me.

CD

Last edited:
This recipe is based on the recipe from GZ who is a world class Chef, and appears regularly on The Kitchen cooking show on the Food Network.
We've reworked the recipe to suit us, so the following recipe belongs to us now. ;) (recipe copyright laws)
It makes the best lobster rolls we've ever made or eaten, even in Boston, or out here on the left coast.

--------(K-L and SC)--------
:chef::winkiss:[FONT=&quot]OUR LOBSTER ROLLS:yum:[/FONT]:chef:
[FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 broiled lobster tails, meat removed cut in to large chunks
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons chopped shallots
2 teaspoons snipped chives
2 large French rolls, prepared
4 chopped Romaine lettuce leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Spicy Mayonnaise, recipe follows[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 cup mayonnaise, such as Best Foods/Hellmann's
2 TBS Dijon mustard
1 teaspoons mustard powder, such as Hot Chinese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
Fresh snipped chives
Sriracha hot sauce, as needed
Kosher salt and fresh ground black or white pepper to taste
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Directions: [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Toss the lobster meat with 2 tablespoons melted butter, the shallots and chives and enough Spicy Mayo to moisten in a medium bowl. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Brush the cut sides of the prepared French rolls with the remaining 1/4 cup melted butter. Grill the buns, cut-side down, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Dress the lettuce leaves with the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Place the dressed lettuce leaves in the toasted buns and add the lobster meat. Drizzle with the Spicy Mayonnaise and garnish with the chives. Serve with lemon wedges. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Combine the mayo, Dijon mustard, mustard powder, lemon juice, snipped chives and seafood seasoning in a bowl. Season with Sriracha,S&P [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note: Remainder of Spicy mayo can be used as a green salad dressing for another time. I'll be adding fresh grated Parm, and a little white wine vinegar.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]
YAMMmmm

I never like lobster rolls, and I've had them from Massachusetts to Maine, because of the combination of lobster and mayonnaise.

Then, I had one that was made with drawn butter instead of mayo. That was much better, for me.

CD
My daughter is the exact same way. She loves lobster, but hates Mayo, so when I prepare ours, I just have to leave some lobster meat to the side and warm it up in butter. On the roll it goes and she is a happy camper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom