Oysters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I love oysters, but hate to shuck them. I was in Costco yesterday and picked up a container of Pacific ( I think farm raised) oysters as I have been wanting some. Looks like two servings.
My only intention was to deep fry them? My wife does not eat them so anything goes.
Any ideas and easy prep for shucked oysters.
Also I use a lot of Panko bread crumbs for breading shrimp and other items to be deep fried. I think a thinner coating may be in order for the oysters?

TIA. John

Last edited:
I made Steve Kroll's recipe for Oyster Stew a couple years ago for Thanksgiving. Just a small pot, since only Himself and his sister like it. Meanwhile, my BIL and I enjoyed clam chowder. The stew got rave reviews from the oyster loving side of the family. I don't know if you want to fuss with making it just for yourself, but here's a link to the recipe:

Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew

I've never fried oysters but scalloped oysters were always part of our Thanksgiving feast.

Start with a layer of saltine cracker crumbs in a casserole followed by a layer of oysters and their liquor repeat the layers finishing with a top layer of cracker crumbs, dot with butter, pour milk into a corner of the dish until you can just see it coming up the sides of the casserole, bake in a preheated 350F oven for approx. 45 minutes until the top is brown and the milk has been absorbed. I add plenty of fresh cracked black pepper to each layer of oysters.

A little fancier version from Chef John.

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/846/how-to-make-scalloped-oysters/

Traditional Southern fried oysters are made with a cornmeal batter, like this.
https://www.gritsandpinecones.com/best-southern-crispy-fried-oysters/

I never use corn meal for any breading as I do not care for the texture or the taste. Maybe I need to revisit this thinking?
But will try this recipe.
I have some seafood breader in the pantry. House Autry. Very southern yet I don't think they use corn meal? Maybe fine or corn flour? Its been there a long time. May not be good anymore?
Thanks GG.

I've never fried oysters but scalloped oysters were always part of our Thanksgiving feast.

Start with a layer of saltine cracker crumbs in a casserole followed by a layer of oysters and their liquor repeat the layers finishing with a top layer of cracker crumbs, dot with butter, pour milk into a corner of the dish until you can just see it coming up the sides of the casserole, bake in a preheated 350F oven for approx. 45 minutes until the top is brown and the milk has been absorbed. I add plenty of fresh cracked black pepper to each layer of oysters.

A little fancier version from Chef John.

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/846/how-to-make-scalloped-oysters/

Thanks Bea. I only have a small container. I want to try them before I go all the way in. I have never purchased oysters this way.
For my first try I want to deep fry them.
But thank you very much.

You might try mincing the oysters, mixing with cream cheese, green onion, and a touch of sugar.. Place a heaping tsp. full onto a wonton skin. Wet the skin edges with water, and fold corners inward, overlapping to seal. Let dry on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Fry in hot oil until crispy. Serve with a lemon sweet and sour sauce.

Seeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

I never use corn meal for any breading as I do not care for the texture or the taste. Maybe I need to revisit this thinking?
But will try this recipe.
I have some seafood breader in the pantry. House Autry. Very southern yet I don't think they use corn meal? Maybe fine or corn flour? Its been there a long time. May not be good anymore?
Thanks GG.

Thanks Bea. I only have a small container. I want to try them before I go all the way in. I have never purchased oysters this way.
For my first try I want to deep fry them.
But thank you very much.
You could probably switch the ratio of flour and cornmeal. I think the cornmeal is what makes it crunchy. Or you could try this Japanese recipe that uses cornstarch and panko.
https://rasamalaysia.com/fried-oysters-recipe-panko-fried-oysters/

I'm not sure about the seafood breader - I have never used it. It could have become rancid, I suppose. If you want to try it, smell it first.

Nope, I don't oysters raw off the half shell. They taste of diluted salt with the texture of snot. Not so gross that I wouldn't eat them, but I don't see the point.

I live in an area where oysters are identified on menus by the river or bay where they were harvested [emoji38] They're usually served or sold the same day they were caught.

Hard to find those same day here in Wyoming...can I interest you in some Rocky Mountain Oysters??:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Nope, I don't oysters raw off the half shell. They taste of diluted salt with the texture of snot...

On our very first date, Himself ordered Oysters Rockefeller. He offered me one, so I tried it. When he asked what I thought of it, I told him I would let him know the next day. That's when I told him that my sinuses drain a lot and I didn't need to spend good money just to have that sensation on demand. [emoji38]

I've never eaten them raw off the half shell. That's why I asked. Do you just let them slide down your throat ? Do you chew them ?

When I was on long island I got some blue point clams once. They came on a plate of ice with wedges of lemon and some cocktail sauce. I chewed it a couple of times and my friend said, "for God's sake swallow that" !

Living in the heart of Appalachia back then before the internet I didn't
have much access learning about these things.

You might try mincing the oysters, mixing with cream cheese, green onion, and a touch of sugar.. Place a heaping tsp. full onto a wonton skin. Wet the skin edges with water, and fold corners inward, overlapping to seal. Let dry on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Fry in hot oil until crispy. Serve with a lemon sweet and sour sauce.

Sounds very good Chief. Recipe noted.

You could probably switch the ratio of flour and cornmeal. I think the cornmeal is what makes it crunchy. Or you could try this Japanese recipe that uses cornstarch and panko.
https://rasamalaysia.com/fried-oysters-recipe-panko-fried-oysters/
I'm not sure about the seafood breader - I have never used it. It could have become rancid, I suppose. If you want to try it, smell it first.

I have been breading traditional. Flour - Egg wash - Panko. Very crispy without the addition of corn meal. May be a little too crispy for oysters? I am thinking something lighter. I suppose some use only flour, then drop them?
I will check, but I think the mix I have has corn meal in it. I'm not going to use it. Trash can as soon as I walk out of this office.

Anyone here eat them raw right off the half shell ?

Clearly my favorite way to enjoy them. There is little doubt that oysters raw are the very best way. I just hate shucking.
Its weird but my wife will shuck them for me and she would never touch oysters prepared any way.
But will shuck them. :ermm:

Hard to find those same day here in Wyoming...can I interest you in some Rocky Mountain Oysters??:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I have had "turkey fries" I think they call them. I was on a business trip when I was offered to try them and they were excellent.
But I'm not going out of my way to find or make them.....;)

I've never eaten them raw off the half shell. That's why I asked. Do you just let them slide down your throat ? Do you chew them ?
When I was on long island I got some blue point clams once. They came on a plate of ice with wedges of lemon and some cocktail sauce. I chewed it a couple of times and my friend said, "for God's sake swallow that" !
Living in the heart of Appalachia back then before the internet I didn't
have much access learning about these things.

Its kinda a chew and a swallow. I mean they need no chewing depending on size. But yes, oysters raw are chewed. Not like steak, but chewed none the less. And they are wonderful!

Back in my party days, we would have them raw, in various bay side bars we frequented.
Don't think we ever ate them entirely sober tho. :ermm: ;)
Ross

Clearly a glass of milk would be way out of place when oysters grace the table.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom