Pan frying tilapia before baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
It is probably obvious, but I don't cook fish very much. I have baked fish in the oven before. It tasted good but did not look so nice. When I baked chicken pieces or other meats in the oven I usually pan fry them for a minute to help them have a nice healthy - delicious - golden brown color when they are finished. I know that the consistency of fish is different from that of other meats....but can/should fish be pan fried (without breading) to make it look nicer or even to sear in flavor? What if I bread them first?

Last edited:
I think your fish would be overcooked. Maybe wrap in parchment paper before baking in the oven to keep the moisture in.

You could also toast your breadcrumbs to a beautiful colour then press it on the fish and bake.

This way you won't over cook, have an appetizing colour and a tasty crunch - all without frying!

You could also toast your breadcrumbs to a beautiful colour then press it on the fish and bake.

This way you won't over cook, have an appetizing colour and a tasty crunch - all without frying!
+1...... I use toasted Panko frequently for baked chicken, pork and fish.. :)

Ross

Tilapia is a thin filet. I would just pan fry them. No need for the oven. A couple of minutes per side and you're done.

If you carefully pan fry your tilapia filet, you won't need to bake it. It will come out firm, flakey and moist. If you are cooking a whole fish, baking or roasting seem to work better, from my experience. But, for filets, I prefer a pan sauté over medium heat until just done. I use either olive oil, or butter, but often, a 50/50 blend of the two.

CD

Back
Top Bottom