Parasites in raw fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I know that sushi and sashimi grade fish are frozen at sub-zero temps for 48 hours or more to kill parasites. Great, but do the parasites remain in the fish? Please say no, I love sushi!

They are still there, but they are dead and so are any eggs.
I’ve never seen any dead worms in my maguro, does that mean that, for the most part, these (ugh) parasites are microscopic? Or does the sushi chef inspect the fish and remove any visible ones before he prepares it?

Much like everything else in Japanese culture, there is a well thought out reason for why things are done a certain way. In this light, a tertiary, or maybe quaternary reason for slicing sashimi thinly is to be 200% sure that there are no visible nematodes.

Nevertheless, read this: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-enjoy-sushi-without-getting-infested-with-parasi-1795175033
I watched all the videos in that link. Those worms are thin, but if you are looking for them, you will probably see them. I like the backup of freezing them to death.

Think about it ...

Obviously, they are still in the fish flesh after freezing if they were there before freezing.

But they are dead and cant infect you.

Think about it ...

Obviously, they are still in the fish flesh after freezing if they were there before freezing.

But they are dead and cant infect you.

But they can still disgust me. I don't do sushi... just don't like raw flesh of any kind - not because of parasites, just because I don't like the texture. I may be last person in the US who has never been to a sushi bar or restaurant. :rolleyes:

I'll qualify that my saying that I have eaten raw conch, just 10 minutes removed from it's shell. It was "cooked" by the acid in lime juice. That was a real delicacy, but conch has some texture, some "chew" to it even raw. Like many shellfish, it turns to inedible rubber when overcooked.

Last edited:
I heard deep freezing chicken does nothing prior to being served as sashimi. Never had them myself, I'm not willing to take the risk.

Chicken sashimi

Attachments

• chicken-sashimi-3.jpg
    chicken-sashimi-3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 380
But they can still disgust me. I don't do sushi... just don't like raw flesh of any kind - not because of parasites, just because I don't like the texture. I may be last person in the US who has never been to a sushi bar or restaurant. :rolleyes:

I'll qualify that my saying that I have eaten raw conch, just 10 minutes removed from it's shell. It was "cooked" by the acid in lime juice. That was a real delicacy, but conch has some texture, some "chew" to it even raw. Like many shellfish, it turns to inedible rubber when overcooked.
So what do you think happens to the dead parasites when you cook the fish?

I heard deep freezing chicken does nothing prior to being served as sashimi. Never had them myself, I'm not willing to take the risk.

Chicken sashimi
Because the problem with chicken sashimi is bacteria, which can survive freezing.

Of course, one needs to be careful of bacteria with raw fish as well.

If you ever do go for sushi, you might enjoy several of the clam nigiri. Octopus, which is cooked, has a nice chewiness and great flavor, and the shrimp is cooked, too. Eel, which is broiled is another option for those who can’t abide raw fish.

Sushi isn’t about raw fish, it’s about the rice!

Could someone add the tags: gross, disgusting, scary.....and I used to eat sushi. <crying emoticon> paracitacles, eggscicles.....Yes English is a mystery BT.

Much like everything else in Japanese culture, there is a well thought out reason for why things are done a certain way. In this light, a tertiary, or maybe quaternary reason for slicing sashimi thinly is to be 200% sure that there are no visible nematodes.

you can add to the list - sliced thinly for delicacy of eating in one bite -

a honking big chunk of rice and fish would likely make you gag!

add - visual effect

You are not alone. I too want my fish cooked. Never had sushi and never intend to. :wacko:

When I first met my wife she ate all kinds of raw fish whenever we went out for sushi. Now she eats sushi but can't have any raw fish in them. I think she was just trying to impress me back then. Actually, saves me money now... She can order her lousy 8 dollar California roll while I order the real thing... :LOL:

Last edited:
Most parasites occur in fresh water fish. Thats why you should never use fresh water fish for sushi, unless it is cooked.

Back
Top Bottom