Ras Jah-I saltfish rundown.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kali-Ann G

Assistant Cook
Jah bless all,

OK so me make this later so me think me share also. Now man Ras Jah-I was the name of my grandfather, this Amharic the language of Ethiopia and the Nyahbinghi, we also speak Patois and English, he live til he 89 and him dreads down to him ankle man and snow white, he make this many time when me young girl when we sit on the beach and he tell me stories. You find rundown on every island but man this real good.

So we go man,

2 cups prepared saltfish.
3/4 cup green bell pepper.
3/4 cup red bell pepper.
1/2 scotch bonnet pepper.
1 tablespoon olive oil.
1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
1 medium onion.
3 sprigs fresh thyme.
1 cup coconut milk.
2 pimento berries.
2 green onions.

Chop all the ingredient man. Now put some oil (me use coconut oil) in a heavy frypan on medium. Once the oil hot man put in the saltfish, turn down the heat and let it do it thing for 3-4 minute. Put in very thing else but not the coconut milk and mix it up man cook this for about 5 minute. (you do not need salt, plenty in the fish man). Turn up the heat and add the coconut milk, cook it down until the sauce thicken up man.

Me serve this with Bami or Jamaican water cracker. Pour it over and let them soak it up man.

Jah bless

What they called the triangular trade involved slaves from Africa, rum and sugar from the Caribbean, and cod from Newfoundland and the British Isles, which was salted and dried, hard as a rock. It was exported to feed the slaves.

One problem: salt cod is pretty damned inedible. So they'd soak it soft and then prepare a chowder with coconut milk, peppers, etc. (the Run Down above) which not only rendered it edible, but delicious. Pure genius, I reckon.

Although our cod comes from Alaska and isn't salted and dried, Run Down's a favourite in our house.

Just made Run Down with Pacific cod, garlic, onion, greenhouse tomatoes, red bell and serrano peppers, and light coconut milk. Served with rice.

jMgcUsX.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom