Red Snapper Curling during cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ran into the rubbery, curling "red snapper" issue last night - thought I'd completely lost it as a cook until I found some of these blogs. I think ValeFoods nailed it - it is actually "nannygai" or, as it is sold in Australia, "saddletail snapper." I found another Facebook discussion in Australia where bloggers were complaining that their local store started selling this fish at a high price, and the description was identical: curling filets, hard, rubbery texture no matter how properly cooked (i.e., baking or grilling), tasteless and with fishy odor. My local grocery was selling it as "Wild caught red snapper, previously frozen from Thailand," which is flat out deceptive. I will complain to my butcher next time I return.

I ran into the rubbery, curling "red snapper" issue last night - thought I'd completely lost it as a cook until I found some of these blogs. I think ValeFoods nailed it - it is actually "nannygai" or, as it is sold in Australia, "saddletail snapper." I found another Facebook discussion in Australia where bloggers were complaining that their local store started selling this fish at a high price, and the description was identical: curling filets, hard, rubbery texture no matter how properly cooked (i.e., baking or grilling), tasteless and with fishy odor. My local grocery was selling it as "Wild caught red snapper, previously frozen from Thailand," which is flat out deceptive. I will complain to my butcher next time I return.

Never buy seafood from China, Asia, etc...;)

Welcome to the site gonzojoe! I am just guessing here, but I bet if your scored the fish (Slice a few shallow slices) then it will not curl or at least not as much. As far as it being rubbery and tough that sounds like the fish was overcooked. Try cooking it much less and you should be OK.
This is more or less what I was going to say. Did you defrost the fish before cooking it? I find it's better if you do. (I defrost it in the fridge by the way)

Back
Top Bottom