Request for Best Salmon Recipes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuffedpattypan

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so please excuse any ignorance I may have in regards to its etiquette.

Salmon is one of my favourite fish but I have only a limited number of tried and true recipes to rely on. This community is so friendly and knowledgeable I thought I'd try asking for a few recommendations. I'm willing to try most any combination of flavours but I would prefer that the salmon be cooked.

Any particularly great recipes for salmon will be sincerely appreciated!

Happy cooking!:chef:

I made this recipe a few nights back for teh first time, with Pink salmon fillets. It came out very tasty.

Ingredients:
Pink salmon filet, cut into 4 pieces
Salt
Pepper, Dried Basil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 450' F. Drizzle olive oil over the flesh side of the fillets and spread evenly over the meat. Season with salt, coarse-grind black pepper, and dried basil flakes. Place on a foil, or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Serve with baked sweet potatoes, butter, and steamed green beans, or asparagus.

This dish begs for a sauce, though I served it without one. The fish was wonderful. The basil complimented the natural salmon flavor, rather than overpowering it as lemon or tarragon might.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't have any recipes for cooked salmon (I hate cooked salmon), but I have a good recipe for gravad laks if you are interested. It's a lot like smoked salmon, but more delicate in flavour.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so please excuse any ignorance I may have in regards to its etiquette.

Salmon is one of my favourite fish but I have only a limited number of tried and true recipes to rely on. This community is so friendly and knowledgeable I thought I'd try asking for a few recommendations. I'm willing to try most any combination of flavours but I would prefer that the salmon be cooked.

Any particularly great recipes for salmon will be sincerely appreciated!

Happy cooking!:chef:

Welcome to DC.

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results

I'm a salmon fan as well. Can you share some of your favorites? :chef:

I like my salmon steaks cooked simple. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle sea salt and pepper, top with sliced onions and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or so.

I usually boil some new (red) potatoes, fry up thinly sliced zucchini. Blue cheese dressing on a salad goes great with salmon.

Stuffedpattypan,
here are several sauces you might try on your salmon. Pan fry,bake or broill your salmon then top with a cucumber sauce, Use 2 cups sour cream,1/2 Tab. finely chopped onion,I cucumber peeled,seeded and finely chopped salt and fresh ground pepper,1-1/2 Tab. fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1-2 tab. of the zest and dried dill to taste. Mix well and serve over the salmon.

Or how about a mustard sauce 2 tab. prepared mustard,2 tab. Dijon, 2 tab. brown sugar,2 Tab. vinegar 1/2 cup dill weed, 1 cup evoo.Place both mustards,sugar,vinegar and dill weed in blender, add evoo slowly mix til mixture is thickened and well blended.
kadesma

Pan fried in butter and lemon juice, simple!

Marinated in teriyaki sauce and pan-fried.

I reserve oven baking for whole salmon, pack the inside with sliced onions, lemons and brown sugar. seal with foil and bake.

Place in a baking dish and dallop with butter then sprinkle fresh chopped dill,capers and rindless lemon slices. Cover and bake at 350 until firm.

Hollow out a sourdough round and generously butter with a compound butter. Chunk some salmon,shrimp,scallops (whatever you like) and 1/2 the bread you removed crumbed. season and add a little melted butter.
pack the round and replace the lid. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes
and then slice like a pie.

Cover with potatoe slices (very thin) and pan fry.

Salmon steak ideas for summer type weather ??

Hello, and welcome.
Place salmon steaks on a baking tray and generously splash with sweet chili sauce. Grill until sizzling, turn and grill other side. Serve with a green salad and baby potatoes or plain rice
OR
Wrap each piece in double cling film, tie with string so that it doesn't unwrap. Poach in simmering water for about 8 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool. Take out ( still wrapped) and chill. Make a salsa Verdi by taking equal quantities, I use about a small handful of each, of fresh mint, parsley, a gherkin or 1tablesp of capers, 1clove of garlic, 4 anchovy fillets if you like them OR a good grind of salt if not but not both,and a glug of olive oil. Blitz together, season with pepper to taste and serve a little with the unwrapped poached Salmon with the rest in a little dish on the side.
Goes well with a jacket potato and salads of choice.
I make double quantities of the sauce as it goes really quickly or keeps well in the fridge.;)

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome.
Place salmon steaks on a baking tray and generously splash with sweet chili sauce. Grill until sizzling, turn and grill other side. Serve with a green salad and baby potatoes or plain rice
OR
Wrap each piece in double cling film, tie with string so that it doesn't unwrap. Poach in simmering water for about 8 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool. Take out ( still wrapped) and chill. Make a salsa Verdi by taking equal quantities, I use about a small handful of each, of fresh mint, parsley, a gherkin or 1tablesp of capers, 1clove of garlic, 4 anchovy fillets if you like them OR a good grind of salt if not but not both,and a glug of olive oil. Blitz together, season with pepper to taste and serve a little with the unwrapped poached Salmon with the rest in a little dish on the side.
Goes well with a jacket potato and salads of choice.
I make double quantities of the sauce as it goes really quickly or keeps well in the fridge.;)
Is that a special cling wrap for cooking? Otherwise I would be afraid it off-gasses some awful chemicals.

That salsa verdi sounds interesting. I will have to give it a try.

I have always used just good quality clingwrap but if you would prefer then you can use alu foil instead making sure the parcels are well sealed but then I wouldn't leave the fish in too long to cool as it could taint the flavor. The choice is yours I guess but I haven't had any problems myself over the years and a lot of top chefs seem to use this method nowadays.

I have always used just good quality clingwrap but if you would prefer then you can use alu foil instead making sure the parcels are well sealed but then I wouldn't leave the fish in too long to cool as it could taint the flavor. The choice is yours I guess but I haven't had any problems myself over the years and a lot of top chefs seem to use this method nowadays.
Good quality cling wrap might not be good enough. You're and adult and can choose to use whatever you want. But, we are giving advice to people, so we should include the warning about using the proper type of cling wrap as does the chef at BBC - Food - Recipes : Beef fillet with red cabbage and straw fries
"3. Wrap the cooled beef fillet in cling film and place onto a roasting tray. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. (NB: Not every type of cling film is suitable for using with all foods. Check the description on the packaging to see which foods and temperatures it can be used with.) [emphasis mine]"

Some other links where it is recommended to use microwave safe cling wrap or don't let it touch the food:

The Effects Of Cooking Food In Plastic Wrap | LIVESTRONG.COM
snopes.com: Microwaving Plastic Releases Cancer-Causing Agents
Cling wrap dangers

Side-dish Recommendations for Salmon with Mustard Sauce?

These are all wonderful suggestions!

I was wondering about good side dishes for salmon done with a mustard sauce- any recommendations?

I will be sure to post some of my favourite recipes in the near future.

Happy cooking!
~stuffedpattypan :chef:

Savory bread dressing is wonderful with salmon, as is three bean salad, or a good slaw. Good hashbrowns, made with the shredded potatoes is good, as are potato cakes. a Good crusty, yeasty bread can't be beat, as long as it's fresh and home made. Baked acorn squash is good with salmon as well, buttered, and seasoned with salt, turmeric, and black pepper.

Of the above, my favorites are the dressing, and cold and juicy cole slaw.

Oh, and one more idea. wash, then cut russet potatoes lengthwise as for french fries. Par-boil the potatoes until almost done. Gently remove from the water, and place into hot oil to fry until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels, salt, and serve piping hot.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Lemon-scented rice
Marinated cucumber salad, tossed green salad
steamed broccoli
roasted asparagus/Brussels sprouts
roasted potatoes
new potatoes tossed with butter and parsley
steamed green beans with a bit of lemon zest and slivered almonds
steamed mixed veggies
roasted beets

Place Salmon fillets in a plastic ziplock bag, pour over half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tbs of honey, juice of one lemon, 1 tbs of light olive oil and half a tsp of chilli flakes. Close bag and gently massage till marinade coats all parts of the fish. Leave in the fridge for about 1 hour. Sear salmon in a hot pan with a little oil on both sides. Allow to rest for 5 mins, slice thinly and serve with sticky rice or in a crisp green salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom