Salmon Burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I have a can of salmon that I want to use to make Salmon Burgers. I googled and found this recipe that appeals to me, because it doesn't require any unusual ingredients. I just want basic salmon burgers. Those of you in the know about them, what do you think of this recipe? Would you do anything to tweak it? Should I add some Old Bay Seasoning?

Jammin' Salmon Burgers Recipe : Aaron McCargo Jr. : Food Network

That recipe looks good too, Aunt Bea and I think DH would like the creamed peas. I have saved it to my recipe file. I think I have some potato flakes on hand. Sometimes I use them for thickening. Baking them in the muffin cups is a good idea too, although I might want to stick with patties if we decide to eat them on a bun.

Last edited:
It sounds like a good recipe. When I make salmon cakes, I usually use plain bread crumbs over panko. Sometimes, I will skip the bread crumbs and add a spoon of flour with a teaspoon of baking soda. I also add onion powder instead of onion because I find the onion bits a bit too much for me in salmon cakes.

Aunt Bea, my mother made them with creamed peas too. Loved them on winter nights. :yum:

Back in the olden days when I was married, my ex made salmon loaf with canned salmon. She loved it. I ate it.

My salmon burgers turned out good. We ate a late lunch/early dinner because DH is leaving to go to a car cruise. I used the recipe I found on the internet and the only thing I did different was when I chopped up half an onion, it looked like too much onion so I only used half of what I chopped. The mixture was very wet and sticky. I formed the burgers, put them on wax paper in the refrigerator for 1 hour. They held together and browned up very nicely. DH came in while I was cooking them and said "I want mine burned." He like everything well done. So he ate them and liked them and said I could make them again. Success! A new meal to cook! I really loved the dill mayo.

In Andy's defense, I found a recipe online for Salmon Loaf. It doesn't look appetizing at all, and doesn't look anything like my salmon burgers. For one thing, it calls for 2 cups of bread crumbs, while my recipe only had 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs with the same amount of salmon. Sounds like this salmon loaf would taste more like stuffing.

Basic Best Salmon Loaf Recipe | Healthy Recipes from BumbleBee

My salmon burgers turned out good. We ate a late lunch/early dinner because DH is leaving to go to a car cruise. I used the recipe I found on the internet and the only thing I did different was when I chopped up half an onion, it looked like too much onion so I only used half of what I chopped. The mixture was very wet and sticky. I formed the burgers, put them on wax paper in the refrigerator for 1 hour. They held together and browned up very nicely. DH came in while I was cooking them and said "I want mine burned." He like everything well done. So he ate them and liked them and said I could make them again. Success! A new meal to cook! I really loved the dill mayo.
Did you use the Old Bay?

I added just a dash of Old Bay to the creamy mixture before I mixed in the salmon. I was afraid to use too much.

:LOL:

Those salmon cakes sound really good, Carol. I'll have to try them. I think I saw the show where Aaron McCargo made them, and thought at the time that they looked delish. :yum:

Actually, that wasn't a mistake. I ate it but didn't enjoy it.

well, you weren't that far off...

I had a client when I was doing Personal Attendant (not nurse aide) work with Home health, that wanted me to cook Mackerel loaf for him. At least every week. He missed it and could not stand long enough to cook it for himself.

It took me several tries trying to resurrect school lunchroom salmon croquettes.

I ended up with salmon patties that are very easy and very tasty:

Canned salmon, cleaned (I have osteoporosis, so I leave the bones in.)
Panko or unseasoned bread crumbs
Lemon juice
Mayo just enough to bind.

I put Panko in the patties, and on the outside and shape them fairlly small and flat(ish).

I then spray a frying pan with cooking spray and brown both sides. They come out extra crunchy and can be served with tartar sauce or white sauce.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I really like them, PF. It's as close as I could get to the flavor of the croquettes I loved in school. That's why the unflavored bread crumbs. Flavored bread crumbs interfere with the salmon flavor.

Back
Top Bottom