Salmon fillet. How should I cook it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bandnerd1892

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone! I just got back from the store with a beautiful salmon fillet. I'm indecisive on how I should cook it, so, you decide. Does anybody have any good suggestions on how I should cook it? Thanks! I await your suggestions...

You can do a mixture of seeded mustard or just Dijon, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Spread on top and grill that side first then the other.

OR, you can even add some rye or bourbon to that mixture and do the same thing.

Or, you can make a poaching liquid with white wine and some fresh herbs/spices - garlic, peppercorns, rosemary, parsley, jalapeño or habanero peppers too if you like "heat".

I just tried a salmon fillet "en papillot", and it was delicious! Salmon filet with butter, lemon, salt, pepper, fresh dill from the garden, pepper flakes, a bit of olive oil on the bottom, wrapped up in kitchen parchment paper. In the oven for 20 mins at 375 and everything's steamed and buttery.

img_636790_0_c0a5f7fb0a12bbabd1aaf536488ea15c.jpg

I just tried a salmon fillet "en papillot", and it was delicious! Salmon filet with butter, lemon, salt, pepper, fresh dill from the garden, pepper flakes, a bit of olive oil on the bottom, wrapped up in kitchen parchment paper. In the oven for 20 mins at 375 and everything's steamed and buttery.

img_636797_0_c0a5f7fb0a12bbabd1aaf536488ea15c.jpg
Oh my gosh, Jilly, that looks wonderful!! I haven't eaten fish in years but I need to start now and salmon is really good for you. Could this be done without the butter? I can't have butter but olive oil is fine. Could I just increase the olive oil? Really, truly, that looks delicious to me and I don't like fish!

:) One of my favorites is to make a small mixture of flour a little corn meal a little bit of salt and pepper a pinch of thyme, garlic powder and some parsley flakes. Press both sides of salmon in flour mix then heat some olive oil and saute both sides. You should end up with a little crust on both sides then eat with some fresh squeezed lemon. Yummy.
If you make extra it's really good cold all by it's self or in a salad with your favorite dressing.

Last edited:
Ooh... That looks wonderful. I may end up trying that. I think I also need to try jpmcgrew's idea. That would taste splendid. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh man, so many choices. Tpo 10.

1.Dredge in flour and pan fry in a couple inches of hot sunflower oil until lightly browned. Sprinkle with salt and serve with baked sweet potatoes.

2. Place on a stell rack, on top of a jelly-roll sheet, and drizzle with melted butter of EVOO. Sprinkle a bit of Itallian bread crumbs, and a bit of parmesan chees over the top and broil 3 inches under the heat until done.

3. Place on a rased rack, with rosemary sprigs and applewood shavings underneath, all in a stovetop smoker. Drizzle a touch of lemon juice on top and place on stovetop, over medium heat for about 40 minutes. Lightly salt and serve with fresh, rustic bread.

4. Throw that beautiful fish on the grill, over hardwood charcoal, with chunks of alder to provide smoke. Cook until done.

5. Pan fry in just a bit of butter, slighly salt and pepper, and then cut into cubes. Toss lightly into a red-leaf, or other leafy lettuce salad. Drizzle with some good balsamic vinager.

6. Poach in a mixture of milk and tarrgon & garlic, with butter. Serve with a bechemel flavored with butter and lemon.

7. Mince the raw salmon and combine with 1 large egg, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 onioin minced, 1/2 red bell pepper, minced, 1/2 tsp. tarragon, salt and pepper, and 1/2 tsp. cayene pepper. Form into thin patties and dredge in panko bread crumbs. Lightly fry in hot oil until just browned.

8. Place onto a parchemnt paper lined jelly-roll pan, sprinkle with salt, garlic, and paprikka. Bake at 400' F. for 20 minutes. Serve with oven fried potatoes.

9. Place in a foil pouch with sliced pottatoes, coarse-chopped onion, and sliced carrot. Seal and bake for thirty minutes, or until the veggies are soft, but with a light crunch.

10. Put it in a cast-iron pan with a bit of bacon fat and fry over a camp fire. Serve with fried potato slices.

If you can't get inspiration from that list... And I haven't even wandered into the soup, stew, and chowder fields yet, or the ice cream.:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

oh, don't ya be listenin' to the old blow hard. yes, those mere 10 ways are proper and fine ways of preparin salmon, but you asked a simpler question and the ol' north "wind" starts to blow!

just take a good pinch of dill, a good pinch of dried basil, and work it into 2 or 3 tbsp of butter. make smaller chunks and dot the filet with the herb butter, reserving a chunk. turn on broiler to heat, then sear the filet, skin side down (it's not really a filet if it has skin, but whatever.) in a mix of evoo and the reserved herb butter. place under broiler for 5 minutes, more or less depending on how you like yours done. i like mine mooing.

(you've nevger fished for jersey salmon, have you?)

Well, i'm even simpler than you BT;), I lightly flour the fillet, and season, pan fry in a knob of butter, till the skin is golden, crispy and the salmon is starting to show that its cooked by going opaque to about half way up the sides, then I turn the fillet, put a lid on my fying pan and turn the heat off while i go and lay the table or throw a salad or some lightly cooked vegetables together.

this method has never failed me, whether serving the salmon plain to be dressed at the table, or not, or with a sauce. it is cooked perfectly with that lovely just pinkness in the middle.

Salmon is the only fish I cook really well :(

oh, don't ya be listenin' to the old blow hard. yes, those mere 10 ways are proper and fine ways of preparin salmon, but you asked a simpler question and the ol' north "wind" starts to blow!

just take a good pinch of dill, a good pinch of dried basil, and work it into 2 or 3 tbsp of butter. make smaller chunks and dot the filet with the herb butter, reserving a chunk. turn on broiler to heat, then sear the filet, skin side down (it's not really a filet if it has skin, but whatever.) in a mix of evoo and the reserved herb butter. place under broiler for 5 minutes, more or less depending on how you like yours done. i like mine mooing.

(you've nevger fished for jersey salmon, have you?)

What's nevger? I can't seem to find it in Webster's, or any other dictionary. Is that word specific to Joisey? I mean, I know you drink that strange water over there, and have probably had a few too many shellfish at red-tide season. But still...

Maybe Bucky has a speech impediment. He probably glued his tongue to the roof of his mouth. And ya know, when you live in a place where the mercury drops below freezing, most boys, at some time or another, touch their tongues to something metal and get stuck there for a short while, until someone comes out to resuce them with a glass of hot water to warm the metal/tounge junction. But when B.T. did it, his mother exclaimed; "Wow. Our fortune has just changed to the better. Let's leave him there for a while. It'll be quiet in the house for the first time in seven years. Oh happy day, oh happy day."

When I did it, I knew what could happen, so I didn't freeze my tongue to a steel or iron pole. I did it on a mailbox. The trick was to remove your tongue before it froze. Sometimes, the metal was just too cold and you froze to it no matter how fast you were. So I limited myself to mailboxes. That way, if I got stuck, I'd just remove my mittens, open the mailbox, and warm the thin metal with my hands until my tongue release from its icy prison.

Poor Bucky has been mispronouncing words for years now, and it shows up every now and again in his spelling.

My mistakes are due to inaccurte finger placements on the keys.

His recipe is sound enough though. It will make good salmon. But that's it, the whole of his salmon cooking experience. He's like that. You have to carefully guide him to other recipes and techniques, like a small child. After all, he has the IQ of a dachsund.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

img_637525_0_c0a5f7fb0a12bbabd1aaf536488ea15c.jpg

Now, wait a minute, this does look beautiful, but the only thing, the fish has not been cooked. The fish is raw! It has not been cooked. That is why it is such a bright red color.

Last edited:
Now, wait a minute, this does look beautiful, but the only thing, the fish has not been cooked. The fish is raw! It has not been cooked. That is why it is such a bright red color.

You're right! That picture was taken before the thing was sealed and put in the oven. I didn't take a picture of it after because...well...because we were drinking wine and I'm a cheap date and by the time 20 minutes had gone by I'd forgotten about taking a post-cooking picture. :rolleyes:

LOL - that mutt needs a belly rub. How can you not just walk by and give that tummy a little smack?

Anyway, I like grilled salmon. But JillyBean's dish looks awesome. I would definately try that.

Would adding some balsamic vinegar increase the flavor of salmon when frying? And do you add the balsamic vinegar generally at the beginning or at the end of the cooking process?

Last edited:
One very quick trick that I use with salmon filets is to coat it with mayonaise, add pepper, and grill. I think that mayonaise was originally a sauce used in french cooking. Turn once, and garnish with grilled lemon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom