Salmon Patties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I agree. I've always made my salmon loaf with canned salmon, & always include any skin & bones, which are completely edible & very nutritious.

Constance said:
Breezy and Mish, I'd love to have your salmon loaf recipes.

Hi Connie. Here are a few I've saved in my recipe files. I usually wind up with tuna, because I don't like the bones.

Saucy Salmon Loaf

1 can (15 oz/426 g) pink salmon, drained (reserve broth)
2 cups soft bread crumbs (about 3 slices) 500 mL
1/4 cup finely chopped onion 50 mL
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley 75 mL
2/3 tsp dried tarragon or savory 3 mL
3 eggs
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper 1 mL
3/4 cup hot liquid (salmon broth and milk) 175 mL

Cheese Sauce
2 tbsp butter 30 mL
2 tbsp all purpose flour 30 mL
Salt, dry mustard and cayenne pepper, to taste
1 1/4 cups milk 300 mL
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese 125 mL

In a large bowl, flake salmon with a fork, crushing skin and bones. Add bread crumbs, onion, parsley and tarragon. Mix well. Place mixture in a well greased non-stick 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch (21 x 12 cm) loaf pan. Beat together eggs, salt and pepper until eggs are just blended. Stir in hot liquid. Pour over salmon mixture in loaf pan. Bake in a 350° F (180° C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until firm. Loosen loaf with a spatula and turn out of pan.

Meanwhile, make cheese sauce. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings. Stir in milk. Cook stirring constantly until sauce thickens and comes to a boil. Cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until smooth. Serve with salmon loaf.

Salmon Loaf with Dilly Cucumber Sauce
Serving Size : 6

Loaf
2-7 ½ oz cans salmon, drained, flaked
3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
½ cup each finely chopped green pepper & onion
¼ cup each finely chopped celery and pimento or red pepper
¼ cup salt
pinch ground black pepper

Sauce
2 Tbsp butter
½ cup well-drained shredded seedless cucumber
¼ cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp flour
½ tsp dried dill weed
1 ¼ cups milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper

Loaf
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In large bowl, combine salmon, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, green pepper, onion, celery, pimento, salt and pepper; mix thoroughly. Pack mixture into greased 8 x 4 inch ( 21 x 11 cm) loaf pan. Bake 40 minutes or until set. When loaf is set, remove from oven and loosen edges with knife. Turn out onto platter. Slice and serve with Dilly Cucumber Sauce.

Dilly Cucumber Sauce
In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté cucumber and chopped onion until tender. Blend in flour and dill weed. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in lemon juice; add salt and pepper to taste.

Last edited:
Know you've already made your cakes, but this is one I wanted to share.

THAI SALMON CAKES
Serving Size : 4​

2 cans (14.75 oz. each) salmon
1 Tablespoon peanut or canola oil
¾ cup diced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons seeded and minced jalapeño pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons minced lemon grass
Juice and zest of ½ lime
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1-1/2 cups finely sliced green onions
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste​

Drain and chunk Salmon. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño pepper and lemon grass; cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Cool.

In large bowl, combine lime juice and zest, soy sauce, sugar, green onions and cilantro. Mix well and reserve. In small bowl, whisk eggs. Add cornstarch, salt and pepper; mix. Add egg and cooled onion mixtures to large bowl; fold gently to mix. Add salmon and carefully fold until just combined.

Form salmon mixture into 8 cakes (3 oz. each) and chill for at least 30 minutes. Pan fry salmon cakes in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side, or until heated through. Serve hot with Hot and Sour Sauce.

HOT AND SOUR SAUCE

2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons chili sauce (sambal or roasted)
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro​

Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add chili and cilantro; mix together. Makes ½ cup.

Back
Top Bottom