Sardines anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Who loves sardines, besides me?

I recently purchased these at Costco, and they are really good!!

img_1469583_0_9efebf6b4d4c3aa6c1f05527f78cbb11.jpg

Besides enjoying them right out of the can, here's some ideas about what to do with the lill darlings.....

13 Things to Do With Canned Sardines - Chowhound

Himself is more of a kipper guy. I don't do any fish in a can. Sorry.

If you have never seen the movie (or play), you should watch "Noises Off". Early in the show, sardines have a starring role! :LOL: Carol Burnett is in the movie, and she wanders a lot in the beginning looking for her plate of sardines. Seriously, the story is SO much funnier than that! So funny, Himself and I have watched the movie twice and have seen a live performance once. I'm not really fond of Carol Burnett, but there are so many well-known actors in it that I really didn't mind. Michael Caine is my favorite. ~ Not a theatre person, Himself has said he would go to another staged production of Noises Off. Guess he REALLY loves it!

I used to enjoy sardines with my mom growing up. I think she would open the can, pour out the oil, put vinegar in and then eat. I haven't had them in years

I used to love sardines as a kid at my great aunt's house. Then I dissected one, and found out there was a skeleton in there! Haven't had them since, but I should try them again. Other relatives also loved kippers.

Another fan of sardines!

I like them right out of the can on fingers of buttered rye bread.

If you are not a fan it might be a good idea to try several different brands. Sardines vary a great deal from one brand to another and unfortunately the more expensive ones usually taste better.

These Mediterranean style sardines are nice!

brisling sardines mediterranean style » KING OSCAR – THE BEST SEAFOOD IN THE WORLD

Sardine trivia, it is said that Lord Mountbatten always traveled with a supply of tinned sardines and when he joined a new ship he would always appoint a sailor to turn the tins on a regular basis so the sardines would be evenly bathed in the oil.

Another fan of sardines!

I like them right out of the can on fingers of buttered rye bread.

If you are not a fan it might be a good idea to try several different brands. Sardines vary a great deal from one brand to another and unfortunately the more expensive ones usually taste better.

These Mediterranean style sardines are nice!

brisling sardines mediterranean style » KING OSCAR – THE BEST SEAFOOD IN THE WORLD

Sardine trivia, it is said that Lord Mountbatten always traveled with a supply of tinned sardines and when he joined a new ship he would always appoint a sailor to turn the tins on a regular basis so the sardines would be evenly bathed in the oil.

My favorite brand is King Oscar but I have Crown Prince and Wild Planet also and they're good. Not sure why, but I don't care for the Beach Cliff brand which is the least expensive on my grocery store's shelves. I'm the polar opposite of a food snob, but there is something about Beach Cliff that turns me off.
I like brislings which are smaller and still have skin and bones, though you wouldn't really know it. There's no crunch to them or anything. Also like the slightly larger skinless & boneless.

Like them out of the can, in a sandwich or lots of other ways. Tacos, Over pasta with garlic sauteed in olive oil, salads, etc.

A lot of people childishly turn their nose at sardines.

Last edited:
Gee ya know, I thought I had a food photo of sardines and onions as we call them in Hawaii, but alas, none.
My Dad and husband enjoy their canned sardines (neither of them are/were picky about the brand) served:
Open can
drain
place a top a bed of hot steamed white rice
top with diced sweet white onions (vidalia or maui)
a drizzle of shoyu (soy sauce)
and a goodly sprinkle of furikake
GRINDZ!!

Kayelle, on Kauai folks eat their canned sardines with tomato sauce, atop steamed rice, onions AND THEN add a side of canned Pork and Beans (don't heat it up, just open can and pour), CHEE HOO!

I tried the King Arthur's this afternoon. To my surprise I liked them a lot! The only sardines I's tasted before were the conveniences store variety.

My favorite brand is King Oscar but I have Crown Prince and Wild Planet also and they're good. Not sure why, but I don't care for the Beach Cliff brand which is the least expensive on my grocery store's shelves. I'm the polar opposite of a food snob, but there is something about Beach Cliff that turns me off.
I like brislings which are smaller and still have skin and bones, though you wouldn't really know it. There's no crunch to them or anything. Also like the slightly larger skinless & boneless.

Like them out of the can, in a sandwich or lots of other ways. Tacos, Over pasta with garlic sauteed in olive oil, salads, etc.

A lot of people childishly turn their nose at sardines.

It has been more than 55 years, but the very first food I put in my shopping carriage was a can of King Oscar sardines for my new husband. I don't know why I have remembered that stupid fact after all these years. :angel:

Love them....but not the cheap ones. A box of saltines, Louisiana Hot Sauce or hot pepper sauce, a little cheese...I'm happy! Mostly King Oscar, Crown Prince and the like.

I love sardines in a salad. I do them with lettuce, tomatoes, any other salad ingredients you care to put in, red onions, hard boiled eggs. I put the oil in as well, and a good squeeze of lemon juice and I'm in heaven. My OH only likes them on toast.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I love sardines, anyway I can get them. I used to trade my honey-butter sandwiches with my friend for her sardines at lunch. She thought I was crazy.

Sardine Pizza

For dough

1/4 cup white or light red wine
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 oz fresh yeast, or 1 pkg instant yeast
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp + 1tbsp olive oil
3.5 cups flour (14.875 oz)

Wake up the yeast if needed. Combine all ingredients into a dough, reserving 1 tbsp of olive oil. Knead 6-8 minutes until smooth and firm, stretching it periodically. Coat with remaining olive oil and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled. Knock down, let stand 15 minutes and roll out into a round.

For pizza

1.5 cup ricotta cheese
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
8 oz chopped spinach
1 can sardines
2 tsp Tabasco
roasted garlic to taste

Top all of this artfully arranged, on dough round. Cook about 35 minutes in an oven preheated to 375 degrees, or until crust is crisp and firm, but not browning.

I love this pizza, it for some reason horrifies my wife. I just don't think she is a sardine fan. Also can be done with anchovies for additional effect.

TBS

Those sardines in the picture look like they have heads on them. I have a very strict rule about not eating anything that is looking at me.

I didn't notice heads but I may have missed them. I don't have "no eyes and heads'' rule. My only rules are no dog nor domestic cat. I would break those rules if I were starving. No human period. I have read that human meat is very tasty, but I'd rather they eat me than I eat them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom