Saturday Fish Special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef_Jimmy

Senior Cook
This recipe is deciphered to work for a single dish, it may not be perfect due to I made it in my restaurant for dinner service, and some of the measurments for a single serving may be a hair off. I have a pic attaches, but don't know if it will show up as an attachment.

Pan roasted skate wing with home fried potatoes, haricots verts, baby spinach, capers, brown butter

Skate Wing-1 Medium
Salt and Pepper to taste
Yukon Gold Potato-1small-cubed and blanched
Haricot Verts (Green Beans)-1/2 Cup
Baby Spinach-1 cup
Capers-1 Tbls
Tomatoes-Diced-1/4 Cup
Olive Oil-As Needed
Butter-3 Tbls

Lightly salt and pepper the fish. Add about ½ Tbls. EVOO to sauté pan and sear skate for 1 minute Place in 500 degree F. oven for 3-5 minutes. In another pan add butter and cook to light golden, add blanched potatoes and beans, stir in spinach, toss well and place in oven for 3 minutes. Plate tis mixture, top with skate and add tomatoes and capers to pan that the fish came out of and toss to warm. Serve atop the fish.

Attachments

• skate.jpg
    skate.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 96
Oh my - this looks sooo good. Never tried skate before. Can you describe the taste? Thanks, Chef Jimmy.

It is very delicate so that is why i didn't make a strong sauce. It is a white fish with a great texture, but describing the flavor is kinda hard. The flavor of skate is slightly sweet, not unlike that of scallops. Because the meat is fibrous rather than flaky, it is not appropriate for grilling. However, it is perfect for poaching and baking.

Thank you, Chef Jimmy. I must give it a go, as I enjoy white fish. Another fish I've seen in recipes is grouper. Not sure what it tastes like either -- but guess that's a different post.:chef:

I'll definitely have to try this recipe - I LOVE skate, & buy it whenever it's available at the markets around here (which isn't that often).

I have to agree that both the taste & consistency of the fish is somewhat delicate. But if you like any delicate white fish like sole, flounder, etc., you'll like skate.

BreezyCooking said:
I have to agree that both the taste & consistency of the fish is somewhat delicate. But if you like any delicate white fish like sole, flounder, etc., you'll like skate.

Sounds right up my (fish) alley. Thanks Breezy.:) Looks like a perfect summer dish as well -- since we should hit about 90 degrees soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom