Scallops, Roasted Mushrooms, Corn, Ponzu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been making scallops for dinner every week or two lately. I like them done in olive oil and butter and then finished with sherry. My wife has been going crazy for them and they are just delicious. So easy to do too. A bit on the expensive side but I figure it's worth it every now and then. Boy do they make the house smell good too!

I have not been able to get that perfect golden brown though. Mine always end up a slightly darker brown and I'm guessing that's probably from the butter in the high heat right? I'm not using drawn butter, just a big pat of regular butter. I do pat them dry with a paper towel before cooking them.

If you're going to add butter to the pan, the best way to do it is this: sear the scallops in just oil until nice and caramelized, turn over, add the butter, turn the heat down, then use a spoon to baste the scallops until rare to medium rare, about 30 seconds to a minute.

Tried 'em again last night and got the sear perfect. I omitted the butter until removing them from the pan. Then added a big pat of butter followed by a generous splash of sherry to deglaze the pan. They would have been perfect to my taste if I had let them go just another 30 seconds or so, slightly underdone to me. I think it was because these scallops were larger than what I usually get. Anyhow, they were gobbled up in short order. :)

scallops.jpg

Tried 'em again last night and got the sear perfect. I omitted the butter until removing them from the pan. Then added a big pat of butter followed by a generous splash of sherry to deglaze the pan. They would have been perfect to my taste if I had let them go just another 30 seconds or so, slightly underdone to me. I think it was because these scallops were larger than what I usually get. Anyhow, they were gobbled up in short order. :)

scallops.jpg

Nice color.

Back
Top Bottom