"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

RMM, that's a really good looking plate and the recipe sounds wonderful. I have to give it a try although I'm a novice with scallops.

By the way, the compliment from Cheryl should be taken very seriously, as many times she has presented pictures of the most beautifully seared scallops ever to be seen on Discuss Cooking!!
You are a great addition here, and your participation is both welcomed and very much appreciated.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

While I do prefer serving up scallops mostly au natural (I do like them with grits, though), that sauce looks yummy. We're <150 airline miles from George's Bank, but I still think of scallops as a treat*. How do you think the sauce would work with seared shrimp? I can even see it with grilled pork chunks. I'm not a fan of cilantro, but I could see me tossing in some Italian parsley to bump up the color. I take it the sauce is plated at room temperature? I can't seeing that recipe being for a warm sauce.

Oh, and enjoy Cheryl's compliment on your sear. She made me smile big when she complimented my last batch.

*We do have them often enough, since I can buy local dry scallops that are frozen, frequently on sale for $13 a pound year-round.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
Pic I promised of Scallops Vera Cruz we had tonite - they were excellent !
Yes, they look great! Can you comment on how you cooked the scallops? I mean, were they the wet variety and you used the CI trick? Or were they dry packed?

I do hate when I buy scallops at Market Basket on sale and I don’t get a good sear because all of the water oozed out. I will try the CI technique next time. The only way I avoided this in the past is to get scallops from the local fish market or Whole Foods at $28+/lb.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:04 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
*We do have them often enough, since I can buy local dry scallops that are frozen, frequently on sale for $13 a pound year-round.
Where do you find them on sale for $13/lb?
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
RMM, that's a really good looking plate and the recipe sounds wonderful. I have to give it a try although I'm a novice with scallops.

By the way, the compliment from Cheryl should be taken very seriously, as many times she has presented pictures of the most beautifully seared scallops ever to be seen on Discuss Cooking!!
You are a great addition here, and your participation is both welcomed and very much appreciated.
I thank you very much for the kind words, Kathy - much appreciated.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
While I do prefer serving up scallops mostly au natural (I do like them with grits, though), that sauce looks yummy. We're <150 airline miles from George's Bank, but I still think of scallops as a treat*. How do you think the sauce would work with seared shrimp? I can even see it with grilled pork chunks. I'm not a fan of cilantro, but I could see me tossing in some Italian parsley to bump up the color. I take it the sauce is plated at room temperature? I can't seeing that recipe being for a warm sauce.

Oh, and enjoy Cheryl's compliment on your sear. She made me smile big when she complimented my last batch.

This sauce with seared shrimps, or prawns - is wonderful.
Linda doesn't like cilantro either, so I substituted with parsley.

And yes, the sauce is to be plated cool (somewhat warmed up from out of the fridge) or at room temp - I should have mentioned that.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Yes, they look great! Can you comment on how you cooked the scallops? I mean, were they the wet variety and you used the CI trick? Or were they dry packed?

I do hate when I buy scallops at Market Basket on sale and I don’t get a good sear because all of the water oozed out. I will try the CI technique next time. The only way I avoided this in the past is to get scallops from the local fish market or Whole Foods at $28+/lb.
Thanks.

First off, my fish market sells only dry packed and has always done so.

But I still ensure they are further dried well with paper towelling before sautéing, and they turn out well seared on pre-heated (med.-high) stovetop skillet - in small amount of butter & oil combo - for approx. 1 to -1.5 minutes or so each side. Depends on their thickness size.

Immediately before frying, I very lightly brush them with a bit veg. oil, and sprinkle the prepared rub over both sides.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Heavily Moderated...stay on topic. There are Off Topic threads you can go to or create if you want to discuss the treatment of scallops. This is a recipe forum, you must stay on topic.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Where do you find them on sale for $13/lb?
Price Chopper, on sale through Saturday at $12.99 for 10-20 count.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Heavily Moderated...stay on topic. There are Off Topic threads you can go to or create if you want to discuss the treatment of scallops. This is a recipe forum, you must stay on topic.

I don't understand.
Please explain to me exactly what is off topic, and how.

The question was specifically asked in regard to the recipe itself which I posted, as was the response that dealt with it - all pertinent to the recipe - how can that be off topic?

Why would a separate thread have to be created to deal with a question about the specific recipe - that doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't understand either. ^

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I think she is referencing the talk about dry vs wet scallops. And all the bickering and negative posts.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i think she is referencing the talk about dry vs wet scallops. And all the bickering and negative posts.
bingo!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I think she is referencing the talk about dry vs wet scallops. And all the bickering and negative posts.
Could be - but that could occur with any posted recipe thread, or any other thread for that matter- is the criteria for staying on topic that tightly restricted in a forum of this nature ?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
bingo!

Thanks, Fiona - I give in - you have a point.
But I still think it's a bit of 'overkill' for a forum of this nature.
Just sayin' - after all, this isn't a court of law - LOL
Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
As Cosmo Kramer says, without rules there's chaos..

Ross
Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I had several reports of the rudeness in this thread, I trimmed it. We don't stand for rudeness and bickering in any thread.

Nuff said, back to your fantastic looking recipe.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Please share the image I am excited to see the final look of this dish
kenmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmiller View Post
Please share the image I am excited to see the final look of this dish
Here is the picture

Quote:
Here it is

Name:   IMG_8748Pic of scallops vera cruz.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  17.4 KB
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
I had several reports of the rudeness in this thread, I trimmed it. We don't stand for rudeness and bickering in any thread.

Nuff said, back to your fantastic looking recipe.
Thanks for your obvious patience and good nature in dealing with this.

Tags
recipe, sauce, scallops

Scallops with a green chile sauce [FONT=Calibri][B][U]Scallops Vera Cruz with Cool Green Chile Sauce[/U][/B][/FONT] [B][FONT=Calibri](my version- this recipe is for 2 persons)[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Ingredients:[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 10 -12 large jumbo sea scallops - rinsed under cold water and the small tough side muscle removed[/FONT][/B] [FONT=Calibri][B][U]Rub for the scallops[/U][/B][/FONT] [B][FONT=Calibri]Mix these ingredients together: [/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1/2 tspn each of chili powder, paprika, & kosher salt[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 14 tspn each of cumin, oregano, ground black pepper[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- Optionals - 1/4 tspn. of ancho chile powder, or chipotle powder, or both[/FONT][/B] [B][U][FONT=Calibri]For coating the scallops:[/FONT][/U][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 fresh lime - added to the above mixed rub[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Oil the scallops very lightly with veg oil & coat them with the above rub mixture[/FONT][/B] [B][U][FONT=Calibri]Green Chile Sauce:[/FONT][/U][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1 or 2 long Anaheim or Poblano chile peppers - ribs & seeds removed - and blackened under the oven broiler for a few minutes, turned once and removed .[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]When slightly cooled, scrape off and discard as much of the darkened skin as you can & roughly chop the remaining chile meat.[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Add the chile meat to a small processor or blender, along with[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 2 roughly chopped scallions (root ends removed)[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1 diced garlic clove[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1/4 cup each of sour cream and mayonnaise[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- Dash of sugar[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- Salt & pepper to taste[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- optional - small handful of cilantro leaves[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Process in blender to make a slightly coarse sauce, but if it seems too thick, add a little water, and adjust with any seasoning as you see fit.[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]A layer of this sauce is to be spooned over the bottom of a suitable sized plate, in which the fried scallops are then to be placed over for serving. [/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri](I love this sauce - it's a great taste finish to compliment the scallops)[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Saute the scallops in a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes each side to heat through to opaqueness & be nicely browned.[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Add to the sauced plates& serve .[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]I haven't found a better tasting way to enjoy scallops.[/FONT][/B] 3 stars 1 reviews