"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Scallops are sold like shrimp. The lower the #, the bigger the Scallop and the fewer # / lb. We considered 4-5 of the 9-12/lb to be a serving. I can't afford decent-sized scallops but would bet you could do this with cod, walleye, or shrimp.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Scallops are sold like shrimp. The lower the #, the bigger the Scallop and the fewer # / lb. We considered 4-5 of the 9-12/lb to be a serving. I can't afford decent-sized scallops but would bet you could do this with cod, walleye, or shrimp.
It's great with either shrimp or prawns - I've had it several times with large prawns.
Can't see any reason it wouldn't be a good taste fit with cod or walleye.

When living in Winnipeg as a young man, I had a lot of walleye - particularly what they called walleye cheeks (or pickerel as walleye was called in Canada).
I'll bet fried walleye cheeks dusted with breadcrumbs would go great with this sauce.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipes Make Magic View Post
...When living in Winnipeg as a young man, I had a lot of walleye - particularly what they called walleye cheeks...
Decades ago, back in OH, my go-to grocery store would get their fish flown in daily from Foley Fish in Boston. They had cod cheeks regularly. Loved those things! However, I have never seen them in the 19 years we've actually lived in MA, and don't remember seeing them for years before back home. Wonder why the cheeks are gone?
"The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn't matter where you came from but where you are going."~ Condoleezza Rice
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #44
Senior Cook

These days they must use the small medallions of fish flesh obtained from the inside of the gills (the 'cheeks') for other purposes.
I've not seen or heard of fish cheeks for over 30 years at least.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #45
Master Chef

Grouper cheeks are very popular here, especially Black and Gag (grey) grouper.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

When I would go to Newfoundland regularly, cod cheeks were my fav! I love it when the walleye we get are of the right size to grab the cheeks. Cod tongues are also good.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
These days they must use the small medallions of fish flesh obtained from the inside of the gills (the 'cheeks') for other purposes.
I've not seen or heard of fish cheeks for over 30 years at least.
Cheeks are not inside the gills. They are below/behind the eyes in front of the gills.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Cheeks are not inside the gills. They are below/behind the eyes in front of the gills.
That's what I was told - perhaps this is just semantics as to exact location.
Do you have reliable info. as to exactly where cheeks are located. ?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Doesn't "below the eyes, in front of the gills", tell you that the flesh is located just inside the gills ?
That's what it says to me.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Doesn't "below the eyes, in front of the gills", tell you that the flesh is located just inside the gills ?
That's what it says to me.
Fish anatomy is not extremely different from human anatomy. Cheeks are in the head, not in the body cavity where the vital organs, such as gills (or lungs) are.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Further, "In front" of the gills surely can't be on the outside of the gills- there's no flesh on the outside of the gills - It has to be inside. (that's cheeks, isn't it ?) Just picture a fish's head - the gills are in it. They're not in the body cavity as human lungs are
"Below the eyes" is inside of the fish's head as well.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Further, "In front" of the gills surely can't be on the outside of the gills- there's no flesh on the outside of the gills - It has to be inside. (that's cheeks, isn't it ?) Just picture a fish's head - the gills are in it.
"Below the eyes" is inside of the fish's head as well, alongside the gills.
Not really.

Name:   d88b2a3a57815eee78986a400d064697.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  12.9 KB
Old 09-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not really.
Attachment 36554
I'm looking at the picture you've posted - the gills are definitely within the head of the fish, not in the body itself. The cheek is immediately beside the gill.
C'mon, let's give this a break - it's not worth arguing about.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Seems simple to me..cheeks puff up with a smile, unless you're sitting on them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
That's what I was told - perhaps this is just semantics as to exact location.
Do you have reliable info. as to exactly where cheeks are located. ?
Yes, all the fish I've seen taken apart from when DH and I spearfished for 20 plus years.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm looking at the picture you've posted - the gills are definitely within the head of the fish, not in the body itself. The cheek is immediately beside the gill.
C'mon, let's give this a break - it's not worth arguing about.
No, it's not semantics. You stated the cheeks were inside the gills and they aren't. No ifs, ands or buts. Wouldn't want to be putting out incorrect info.

Tags
recipe, sauce, scallops

Scallops with a green chile sauce [FONT=Calibri][B][U]Scallops Vera Cruz with Cool Green Chile Sauce[/U][/B][/FONT] [B][FONT=Calibri](my version- this recipe is for 2 persons)[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Ingredients:[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 10 -12 large jumbo sea scallops - rinsed under cold water and the small tough side muscle removed[/FONT][/B] [FONT=Calibri][B][U]Rub for the scallops[/U][/B][/FONT] [B][FONT=Calibri]Mix these ingredients together: [/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1/2 tspn each of chili powder, paprika, & kosher salt[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 14 tspn each of cumin, oregano, ground black pepper[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- Optionals - 1/4 tspn. of ancho chile powder, or chipotle powder, or both[/FONT][/B] [B][U][FONT=Calibri]For coating the scallops:[/FONT][/U][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 fresh lime - added to the above mixed rub[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Oil the scallops very lightly with veg oil & coat them with the above rub mixture[/FONT][/B] [B][U][FONT=Calibri]Green Chile Sauce:[/FONT][/U][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1 or 2 long Anaheim or Poblano chile peppers - ribs & seeds removed - and blackened under the oven broiler for a few minutes, turned once and removed .[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]When slightly cooled, scrape off and discard as much of the darkened skin as you can & roughly chop the remaining chile meat.[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Add the chile meat to a small processor or blender, along with[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 2 roughly chopped scallions (root ends removed)[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1 diced garlic clove[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- 1/4 cup each of sour cream and mayonnaise[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- Dash of sugar[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- Salt & pepper to taste[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]- optional - small handful of cilantro leaves[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Process in blender to make a slightly coarse sauce, but if it seems too thick, add a little water, and adjust with any seasoning as you see fit.[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]A layer of this sauce is to be spooned over the bottom of a suitable sized plate, in which the fried scallops are then to be placed over for serving. [/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri](I love this sauce - it's a great taste finish to compliment the scallops)[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Saute the scallops in a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes each side to heat through to opaqueness & be nicely browned.[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]Add to the sauced plates& serve .[/FONT][/B] [B][FONT=Calibri]I haven't found a better tasting way to enjoy scallops.[/FONT][/B] 3 stars 1 reviews