Sea Bass Heaven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
I think you will agree this is the MOST AWESOME tasting recipe for Sea Bass. We rarely buy sea bass because of the cost, but when we do, this is THE recipe :yum:

SEA BASS HEAVEN

MARINADE
1 cup Mirin
3/4 cup White Miso paste
1/2 cup Sake (or dry white wine)
1/4 cup Sugar
Sea Bass Fillets, approx. 1" thick

Combine Mirin, Miso Paste, Sake & Sugar.
Marinate the Sea Bass in this mixture for 2 or 3 hours in refrigerator.

SEASONING SAUCE

1 cup Sake (or dry white wine)
1/4 cup Shallots, chopped
6 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp. Peppercorns, whole
1 cup Whipping Cream
5 Tbslp. Butter, unsalted, room temp.
2 Tblsp. fresh Lemon Juice

Bring Sake to Boiling.
Add: Shallots, Garlic, Bay Leaves, Peppercorns. Cook and reduce to nearly 1/2.
Add: Whipping Cream. Cook and reduce to approx. 1 cup.
Strain this mixture into a pan through a sifter, pressing to extract juices.
Over a low heat, Add unsalted Butter a bit at a time, stirring.
Turn off Heat. Add Lemon Juice. Salt & Pepper to taste.

BAKE Marinated Sea Bass on oiled baking sheet in preheated 425 degree oven until fork tender & nearly completed cooking. About 15 minutes depending on size.
NOW BROIL the Sea Bass under hot broiler until well browned, fork tender & flaky. Be careful not to burn.
Serve w/Seasoning Sauce
eat. smile. :yum:

Is the flavour of mirin really that different from sake that one would use both?

The mirin is a much sweeter wine the japanese use for cooking. It will also last longer in the fridge as compared to wine. Like Sherry as opposed to wine. Not a fantastic difference I guess, but I do use both in this recipe. Don't know how it would affect the recipe :)

Miso fish is good, species like black cod and salmon work good. I am sure that sea bass cooked that way would be really good.

Concerning Chilean Sea Bass: No offence intended to anyone.
I have seen many different kinds of seabass in the market.
I have neither knowingly or unknowingly purchased anything labeled 'Chilean Sea Bass'
I have purchased a nice beautiful cut of white-meat fish labeled 'Sea Bass'.
Notice that THIS recipe is NOT labeled 'Chilean Sea Bass Heaven'.
Although I do not wish to offend anyone, no person should be forced to feel apologetic for simply posting a recipe they liked.
I do feel that a discussion of whether or not Chilean Sea Bass is sustainable or not sustainable is inappropriate here. I believe that discussion, valid as it may be, belongs in an entirely different thread and does not belong in this recipe section.
That said, I am looking forward to making this recipe again. You are gonna love it. So delicious :yum:

Concerning Chilean Sea Bass: No offence intended to anyone.
I have seen many different kinds of seabass in the market.
I have neither knowingly or unknowingly purchased anything labeled 'Chilean Sea Bass'
I have purchased a nice beautiful cut of white-meat fish labeled 'Sea Bass'.
Notice that THIS recipe is NOT labeled 'Chilean Sea Bass Heaven'.
Although I do not wish to offend anyone, no person should be forced to feel apologetic for simply posting a recipe they liked.
I do feel that a discussion of whether or not Chilean Sea Bass is sustainable or not sustainable is inappropriate here. I believe that discussion, valid as it may be, belongs in an entirely different thread and does not belong in this recipe section.
That said, I am looking forward to making this recipe again. You are gonna love it. So delicious :yum:

Don't sweat it! People do sometimes give unwanted opinions. I'll try your recipe.
It sounds great :yum:

I don't knowingly buy fish that is not sustainable but believe me if I'm hungry and have nothing else I will eat them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom