Shrimp and Grits Cakes with Seven Pepper Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
This was originally posted by marmalady - I just copied this recipe to the seafood forum.

Shrimp and Grits Cakes with Seven Pepper Jelly

Makes 24 cakes

6 cups water
2 1/2 cups quick grits
5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
2 bunches scallions, white and pale-green parts only (save greens for garnish), minced to equal 1/2 cup
12 medium shrimp, cooked, peeled, deveined, and cut in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
Vegetable oil, for sautéeing
1/2 cup seven-pepper jelly *

1. Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Butter a 13-by-18-inch baking pan. Slowly sprinkle grits into boiling water, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium, and stir constantly until the mixture is thick, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from heat, and stir in cheese, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and scallions.

2. Pour the mixture into prepared baking pan, and smooth out to a 1/2-inch-thick layer. Using a 2 1/2-inch-round cookie cutter, lightly mark out 24 circles in the grits. Press a shrimp half into each circle. Cover with plastic wrap, press down lightly to smooth, and refrigerate until set, 1 to 2 hours.

3. Combine flour and cornmeal in a small bowl. Using a cookie cutter, cut the grits along the marked lines into rounds, keeping the shrimp centered in each circle. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon butter and enough oil to cover the bottom over medium-high heat. Dredge the cakes in the flour mixture, and sauté, 8 at a time, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Wipe out the skillet, and repeat, adding more butter and oil, until all cakes are cooked. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Top with a scant teaspoon of seven-pepper jelly and scallion greens; serve

* Sub regular jalapeno jelly, or ‘hot pepper’ jelly.

Thank you, Elf! This is a great recipe! 'Course you had to go and remind me when I'm trying vewwy, vewwy hard to do the Atkins thing for a couple of weeks!

I left it with the other recipe too - now I can't remember what that was but it definatley deserves not to be overlooked!!! (sorry for the reminder) :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom