Shrimp, What to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Over the years, we'd purchase shrimp cocktail, in the little glass containers, like little drinking glasses. The cocktail sauce was something along the lines of ketchup and horseradish, with tailless cooked shrimp filling the glass. We kept the little glasses to make our own shrimp cocktails.

I recently spotted those little glasses on the cupboard and thought to myself how great it would be to make and serve shrimp cocktail. However, DW wouldn't be able to eat it as she can't handle anything with even a hint of spicy-hot.

Does anyone have a favorite sauce that would go well in the cocktail glass, with small shrimp swimming in it? If so, please share. I'm looking for inspiration.

Oh, and it doesn't have to be shrimp. It could be crab or lobster meat, scallops, etc. I would even be interested in mussels.

Thanks for your input.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is a copycat of Joe's Stone Crabs mustard sauce.

Mustard Sauce

1 cup mayonnaise - I just use Kraft regular.
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp A-1 sauce
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp dry Coleman's mustard - Use the Coleman's if you can find, others just don't taste same.
pinch of salt

Place dry mustard and salt in a small bowl add the cream and mix until dissolved, add other liquid ingredients and mix well. Stir in mayonnaise until well blended. Cover and chill for at least an hour to let flavors meld.

Last edited:
The mustard sauce sounds good!

While I have not made this, I saved this recipe to make last Christmas as I had several folks coming over that were GF, lactose intolerant as well as vegan. I was going to serve it with shrimp. It looked yummy and different from the standard. Turned out because of the weather the party was cancelled, but I still want to try it.

Sweet Mango Dipping Sauce

1 Mango cubed
1 to 2 Tablespoons of Apricot Preserves
Lime Juice to taste

Blend Mango and preserves in Blender add lime juice to taste

Ginger Remoulade

1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp each minced fresh ginger, minced celery, minced red onion and minced parsley.

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour to allow flavors to blend.

I've been making this recipe for a long time. It goes well with any kind of fish or seafood.

WOW 3 ssauces in a row

Sauces sound great - noting ALL of them!

Ginger - Mango - Mustard

what more could you ask for?

Sauces sound great - noting ALL of them!

Ginger - Mango - Mustard

what more could you ask for?

Roasted garlic tartar sauce

+/- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves (about 2 medium heads)
1-1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon fine diced onion
1 tablespoon fine diced red bell
1 tablespoon fine diced green bell
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons white wine
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Cut off top of heads and roast garlic with a drizzle of olive oil until soft and tender. Completely cool, squeeze garlic out, mash until smooth and place in a bowl. Add remainder of ingredients, mix until well blended and refrigerate for at least an hour to meld flavors.

Chief, this isn't a quick easy recipe, but it sure sounds good to me. Hope your wife will like it and of course you also.

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Coctel de Camarones)

1 lb. cooked small shrimp, tails removed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 cups diced English cucumber
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 1/2 cups V8 juice
2 TB. lime juice
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Lime wedges for serving

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Serve at room temperature or chilled in cocktail glasses if you wish with lime wedges. Makes 4 servings

Source: Eating Well - May/June 2011

I think they were made by Sau-Sea. I love those things. Thought they were gourmet food at the time. None of my friends ate seafood bak then -1960 -1966?

Those sauces sound yummy.

Craig, what temperature should I roast the garlic at?

I usually roast at 425F until soft and easily squeezed from the heads like a paste. BTW, I always steam my shrimp using the directions on the side of a tin of Old Bay seasoning.

Last edited:
Great replies everyone
You've given me inspiration. Now I just have to figure out which direction to take. They all sound so good. I think I just might have to make more than one. I'm thinking the Mexican theme, and shrimp with a garlic marinara to start. I'll then try the others. Copied and pasted all of them.

Thanks.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom