Snow Crab vs. Alaskan King

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breezy. I mentioned a little while ago that King crab was on sale for $7.99/lb this week. Just noticed another ad that says Snow crab is on for $11.99/lb this week. Hmmmmmm...I guess you can tell we're a LOT closer to Alaska from those prices! Ken says I get to have some King crab this week. Mmmmmmm. Thanks for the thread, it inspired me to do the puppy dog eyes with him and get some crab. LOL!

Isn't that funny that here where I am in VA the prices are reversed - the Alaskan is $10+/lb & the Snow is $5+. I thought it had to do with quality &/or popularity, but maybe it does have to do with location.

I know where Alaskan & Dungeness are harvested. Does anyone know where Snow Crab comes from?

bc, most snow crabs come from alaskan waters, but eastern canada and greenland are also suppliers of the tasty monsters.

did anyone mention stone crab, specifically for the claws? also very very good.

years ago, i took my wife (blue claw) crabbing for her first time. i used a series of contraptions/cages to catch the little suckers, and then showed dw how to use a hand line.
by the end of the day, she caught twice as much as me using just a single line, to my half dozen or so traps.

i was amazed at how good she was, slowly drawing up the line while hiding behind the gunwale. when the knot came over the egde, she'd flip the crab, into the boat as it was still holding on to the bait, and then she'd run around screaming until i was able to get the crab into a bucket.

to this day she needles me about how much better she was at it, so my only retort is that it must have been professional courtesy. :)

buckytom said:
...to this day she needles me about how much better she was at it, so my only retort is that it must have been professional courtesy. :)

You sleep on the sofa a lot, don't you?

Alix said:
Breezy. I mentioned a little while ago that King crab was on sale for $7.99/lb this week. Just noticed another ad that says Snow crab is on for $11.99/lb this week.

As of this morning, that's $10.74US/lb for snow crab. That's freaking expensive! King crab is cheaper than that! I think it might be more of a matter of supply-and-demand. I'm not sure about the Canadian crab fisheries, but the Alaskan Snow Crab season doesn't start until January, if I remember right. Odds are, warehouses are becoming depleted of frozen snow crab, so the price goes up.

King Crab legs rule! I can't decide if I like shrimp, king crab or lobster the best! I think I could eat my way out of 10000 tons of any of the above-mentioned meats. I'm drooling as we speak.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom