Steaming a lobster..... advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabagoo

Cook
I want to make my wife and myself some steamed lobster tonight and went out and bought 2 cuban lobster tails frozen. each is marked 10 - 12 oz. I dont have a steamer but i figure i can use a deep pot and we do have a stainless steel collander. i think that would work but I am unsure of the cooking time. Some web sites say 1.5 min per ounce others say less.... I don't want to eat rubber tonight as these tails were $18 each.

help

The only time I have steamed Caribbean/Florida lobster is to make a salad or serve like shrimp cocktail. I use the shrimp recipe on the side of the Old Bay tin. I steam for 10 min, pull from heat amd let stand for 5-10 min, based on the color of the meat. Then I plunge into an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Since the meat will be served cold, this works out great.

Craig

I have never done a southern waters lobster part. Only Maine lobsters. The whole thing. We plunge them into boiling water, put the cover on quick so they don't escape and let cook for about twenty minutes or until the whole animal is bright red. We mostly go by the color because it depends of the size. :chef:

I have never done a southern waters lobster part. Only Maine lobsters. The whole thing. We plunge them into boiling water, put the cover on quick so they don't escape and let cook for about twenty minutes or until the whole animal is bright red. We mostly go by the color because it depends of the size. :chef:

Exactly! When it's bright red, it's ready. Do not overcook.

By the way, the largest lobster I every prepared was 14 pounds! And no, bigger doesn't mean tough. It was as sweet and tender as any little lobster.

I stuffed it (split) with a Ritz cracker stuffing (crushed Ritz style crackers, butter, Worcestershire sauce and sherry (and roe when available). Cover the stuffing with lettuce leaves to keep the stuffing from burning, and broil until bright red.

We split the tail for Dinner, and had the claws (one each) with stuffing the next day. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Did you folks know that a Maine lobster is either left or right handed? And that a lobster trap has a kitchen and a parlor? Just thought you might like to know. :chef:

Egads! That is freakin huge. The biggest we have done were just over 4 pounds.

I think I might pass out now.

When I first married my second husband, he came in from a trip at 2 a.m. I heard him and got up to greet him. We had a long hall with the front door at one end and the back door at the other. As I came out of the bedroom, he told me to stay there. He had a present for me. He opened a big box and put down on the floor the biggest ever loving lobster you will ever see. It wasn't pegged. I could see his claws opening and shutting. It started down the hallway towards me. I started to head for the back door screaming. A neighbor heard me and called the cops. By the time they got there, he had put the lobster in the bathtub. You could hear that thing trying to climb out.

The cops started to laugh when they saw what all the commotion was about. That lobster was more than half the length of the tub. They asked what were we going to do with it. I quickly told them we were giving it to them to take to the station to cook. I didn't have a pot big enough for it. My husband pegged it for them. Now they use heavy elastic bands.

About a week later we got a thank you note signed by most of the cops at the station house. They got a big wash tub, filled it with water and lit the grill in the back of the station. They broke off the claws and tail and had quite a feast. To this day, I can still hear the sound of those claws coming down the hall at me. :ohmy:

By the way, the largest lobster I every prepared was 14 pounds!

I wish I had a 14 pound lobster! He/she would be my friend for life! His or hers, not mine! :yum:

I prefer to grill mine. Built in heat indicator tells when done. Flesh side down, grill until some parts show brown, flip and grill until shell is red. Serve with drawn salted butter. :yum:

I don't know if I could eat that much lobster but I'd like to try. :chef:

Egads! That is freakin huge. The biggest we have done were just over 4 pounds.

I think I might pass out now.

I worked across the street from the fish market. I always picked up a pair of 2 pounders. This time, they couldn't come up with a matching pair, and neither one of us would give the other an extra ounce, so the guy finally said he had a 14 pounder and sold it to me for $1 per pound!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom