Surimi as the star????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're welcome Joel. Long before the internet, Community Cookbooks were a very big deal for the home cook. I still have dozens of them in my collection and I was a contributor for several of them. This is the one from the "Company Crab Bake", circa 1988.
View attachment 30497

I grabbed a bunch of those at a yard sale, still going through them.

I made a surimi salad last week to take with me for lunch. Diced surimi, onion, red and yellow bell peppers and cukes, dressed with a bottled avocado-cilantro-yogurt dressing from Bolthouse. I ate it all week, and added to it when the supply got low. It was delicious! Fresh tasting with no fishy aftertaste. During the week, I added in hard cooked eggs at one point, then some nori, and at one point spiced it up a bit with a healthy teaspoon or so of shichimi togarashi. Perfect topping for crackers (Ritz, of course). I’ll bet it’d make a great sandwich too, but the nature of my job precludes sandwiches (sandwiches get soggy when premade and brown bagged, and it’s very difficult, and dangerous, to assemble them while driving!). Just finished making a new batch, and I added a bit of dried dill and some celery salt. Wonderful!

I’ve posted this recipe before.
Boiled potatoes
Boiled carrots
Boiled eggs (hard boiled)
Canned peas
Surimi
All equal amounts
Mayo to bind all. If you like more mayo or like some ingredients more than others, do as you pleased.
Salt to taste.
All ingredients should be chopped finely, or even grated on large hole grader.

At least one person who contributed to this thread explained that they ate surimi as a substitute for shellfish because they kept kosher. Anyone out there using surimi for the same reason, beware! I was shopping at Whole Foods yesterday (for my job, not for my kitchen), and asked the guy at the seafood counter if they carried it, expecting a snicker and a “no.” Surprisingly, they do carry it, but it’s NOT suitable for those who keep kosher, or those who have shellfish allergies. the ingredient list includes snow crab.not snow crab derivative or flavoring even, actual snow crab! It’s way down in the list, but it’s there. So before you purchase surimi or consume it, you might want to double check!

Last edited:
At least one person who contributed to this thread explained that they ate surimi as a substitute for shellfish because they kept kosher. Anyone out there using surimi for the same reason, beware! I was shopping at Whole Foods yesterday (for my job, not for my kitchen), and asked the guy at the seafood counter if they carried it, expecting a snicker and a “no.” Surprisingly, they do carry it, but it’s NOT suitable for those who keep kosher, or those who have shellfish allergies. the ingredient list includes snow crab.not snow crab derivative or flavoring even, actual snow crab! It’s way down in the list, but it’s there. So before you purchase surimi or consume it, you might want to double check!

Yes, I meant to mention that, a lot of so called crab imitation products (or shrimp for that matter) do contain some real crab meat, etc. I would not worry about kosher consumer as much, as we check for the reliable kosher supervision symbol, but people with allergies have to be careful and indeed have to check ingredients. Same with "non-dairy" products incidentally.

Thank you for that note.

found a link

Yes, it is a sponsored post, right along all that we have been talking about. there is another link in it - I have not gone there yet, but suggesting that there are more recipes.

Check it out - might just be what you're looking for JJ.

we're hot on imitation crab

Back
Top Bottom