The Best Clam Chowder Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I opened up a container of College Inn Bold beef stock last night to add to some taco sauce, simmer and turn it into more of an enchilada sauce. No way would I do that if I had to make my own stock. That would seem like a waste. I favor the containers over the dry cubes, powders or paste, but that's me.

I opened up a container of College Inn Bold beef stock last night to add to some taco sauce, simmer and turn it into more of an enchilada sauce. No way would I do that if I had to make my own stock. That would seem like a waste. I favor the containers over the dry cubes, powders or paste, but that's me.

I agree. Liquid over dry for soups and such. I also use some chicken and beef bases to boost the flavor of a sauce or soup.

I use Better Than Boullion...

Me too...
Better Than Bouillon has soy.

I found some organic stock at the health food store. It was over $5 for a container that looked to hold about a cup. :ermm:

I almost always have chicken stock and vegi "stock" in the freezer. Those seem easier. Most of the beef I buy doesn't come with bones. :(

My version of creamy clam chowder

Msmofet's 's Creamy Clam Chowder (AKA New England Clam Chowder)

Bacon - 4 slices
Small onion chopped
2 stalks celery - chopped small - optional
1 1/2 lb Small red skin potatoes - unpeeled
All-purpose flour
Butter
1 (8 oz) Bottled Clam juice or fresh clam liquor
Half-and-half
1/4 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
2 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams with clam liquor from can (may use fresh)
Salt - to taste
Ground black pepper - to taste
1/4 cup Fresh parsley chopped fine - to taste
3 Scallions (washed and sliced into rounds white and green parts)
Oyster crackers - optional

Wash potatoes and place in pot. Cover with water and add salt. Bring to boil and cook till tip of knife inserted in potato comes out easily. Drain and cool with cold water. When potatoes are cool enough to handle cut into small cubes (leave skins on).

Cut raw bacon across the slices into small pieces. Cook bacon in pot large enough to hold completed soup. When bacon is cooked completely and crispy remove from pot, drain on paper towels and crumble.

In the same pot with the bacon fat sauté the onions (and celery if used) and cooked cubed potatoes (season with salt and pepper) till onions are soft without browning.

The next part can be a bit tricky. Just follow the rule and adjust as needed.

Rule of thumb:

1 Tbls fat
1 Tbls flour
1 cup liquid

Will yield 1 cup when finished

To make the cream part of soup:

Flour
Equal parts Butter and bacon fat
1/2 and 1/2
Clam juice (and/or clam liquor)
Salt and ground pepper

Decide how much finished soup you want to have and (and how thick you want it) then follow the rule above for measurements.

In the pot with onions and potatoes; add butter to bacon fat (equal amounts of each) and melt the butter. Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Add thyme, salt and ground pepper to taste. Add clam juice , wine , clams and clam liquor that the clams were in. Stir and cook till thickened. Add 1/2 and 1/2 till your reach the thickness you desire. Cook for about 1 minute stirring.

To finish the soup add parsley and bacon to pot . Stir well and gently simmer for 1 minute. DO NOT BOIL OR YOU RISK BREAKING THE CREAM. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.

Ladle into bowls garnish with scallions. Serve with oyster crackers if desired.

img_1351274_0_b3277c9423848f6bdf73461c0ff4433b.jpg

Better Than Bouillon has soy.

I found some organic stock at the health food store. It was over $5 for a container that looked to hold about a cup. :ermm:

I almost always have chicken stock and vegi "stock" in the freezer. Those seem easier. Most of the beef I buy doesn't come with bones. :(

Use what stock you have to cook the barley in, the veg stock would be good. You just want the barley flavored not plain.

My version of creamy clam chowder

Msmofet's 's Creamy Clam Chowder (AKA New England Clam Chowder)

Bacon - 4 slices
Small onion chopped
2 stalks celery - chopped small - optional
1 1/2 lb Small red skin potatoes - unpeeled
All-purpose flour
Butter
1 (8 oz) Bottled Clam juice or fresh clam liquor
Half-and-half
1/4 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
2 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams with clam liquor from can (may use fresh)
Salt - to taste
Ground black pepper - to taste
1/4 cup Fresh parsley chopped fine - to taste
3 Scallions (washed and sliced into rounds white and green parts)
Oyster crackers - optional

Wash potatoes and place in pot. Cover with water and add salt. Bring to boil and cook till tip of knife inserted in potato comes out easily. Drain and cool with cold water. When potatoes are cool enough to handle cut into small cubes (leave skins on).

Cut raw bacon across the slices into small pieces. Cook bacon in pot large enough to hold completed soup. When bacon is cooked completely and crispy remove from pot, drain on paper towels and crumble.

In the same pot with the bacon fat sauté the onions (and celery if used) and cooked cubed potatoes (season with salt and pepper) till onions are soft without browning.

The next part can be a bit tricky. Just follow the rule and adjust as needed.

Rule of thumb:

1 Tbls fat
1 Tbls flour
1 cup liquid

Will yield 1 cup when finished

To make the cream part of soup:

Flour
Equal parts Butter and bacon fat
1/2 and 1/2
Clam juice (and/or clam liquor)
Salt and ground pepper

Decide how much finished soup you want to have and (and how thick you want it) then follow the rule above for measurements.

In the pot with onions and potatoes; add butter to bacon fat (equal amounts of each) and melt the butter. Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Add thyme, salt and ground pepper to taste. Add clam juice , wine , clams and clam liquor that the clams were in. Stir and cook till thickened. Add 1/2 and 1/2 till your reach the thickness you desire. Cook for about 1 minute stirring.

To finish the soup add parsley and bacon to pot . Stir well and gently simmer for 1 minute. DO NOT BOIL OR YOU RISK BREAKING THE CREAM. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.

Ladle into bowls garnish with scallions. Serve with oyster crackers if desired.

img_1351346_0_b3277c9423848f6bdf73461c0ff4433b.jpg

Quite similar to mine! Yum MsM!!

If I were to try and make this and used canned clams, what should i be looking for in the canned clams.
Brand?
Whole?
Baby?

It seems I can do this with canned clams and i would like to try it.

If I were to try and make this and used canned clams, what should i be looking for in the canned clams.
Brand?
Whole?
Baby?

It seems I can do this with canned clams and i would like to try it.

I usually use:

Snow's Clams - Minced
In Clam Juice
6.50 oz

But sometimes I use the whole baby clams also.

Attachments

• fvUG-v8A.jpg
    fvUG-v8A.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I like Snow's, Chicken of the Sea and Bumblebee are good too. I like a mix of both chopped and minced clams, the chopped provide a nice texture and chew.

I like Snow's, too, but I prefer the chopped. Slightly larger than the minced.
They work well with pasta, too.

Oh my goodness, MsMofet, that looks and sounds just wonderful! I love clam chowder, but have never made my own. Lots of really good suggestions here from people in the know. :)

The last clam chowder I had was about 10 years ago - it was Ivar's in Seattle. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, it was so good. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom