Tonight's Clam Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
One of the better ones I have made. Here it is!

1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion
4 med russets small dice (peeled)
1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped fine
S&P
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 bottles clam juice
2 10oz baby clams in juice
1 qt fat free milk
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tblsp butter (optional)

Heat pot med high and add first seven ingredients in order. Saute until potatoe is translucent.Add clam juice and simmer hard until potatoe starts to soften. Add canned clams and their juice.Add remaining ingredients (except butter) and simmer for about 45 minutes.Finish with stirring in butter pat.

I like sourdough bread to go with and maybe a simple salad.

I happen to have all of those ingredients. When a friend moved, she emptied her cupboard (didn't want to move canned goods). So I have 2 cans of clams and a bottle of clam juice...something I usually do not have. I'm trying to use up the canned goods I inherited so I don't have to move them back to the City in May! Thanks for the inspiration.

One of the better ones I have made. Here it is!

1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion
4 med russets small dice (peeled)
1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped fine
S&P
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 bottles clam juice
2 10oz baby clams in juice
1 qt fat free milk
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tblsp butter (optional)

Heat pot med high and add first seven ingredients in order. Saute until potatoe is translucent.Add clam juice and simmer hard until potatoe starts to soften. Add canned clams and their juice.Add remaining ingredients (except butter) and simmer for about 45 minutes.Finish with stirring in butter pat.

I like sourdough bread to go with and maybe a simple salad.

A variant on the above would be to fry 1/4 pound of diced bacon instead of using olive oil, using thyme or rosemary and thyme, using whole milk, and adding whole clams during the last 7 minutes of cooking.

that looks really good, 4me. a somewhat healthy version of clam showdair.

opied and saved. thanks.

I bought the cans of baby clams. Now I have to go buy some clam juice. How much is in a bottle of clam juice? Here in Canada Cloverleaf makes 236 ml bottles of clam juice. (I don't remember ever seeing it at the grocery store, but I wasn't looking for it. I googled to see if I could get it here.)

Hmmm. I don't make chowder, but have been looking for something to make clams linguini, which I've had a taste for lately. It didn't occur to me to buy canned. Our local grocery has a tendency to have live clams during the holidays -- when I have so many meals out to go to that I do bare minimum cooking at home. And of course, this last (actually, first) cold spell killed the last of my parsley. It will probably wait until spring.

Hmmm. I don't make chowder, but have been looking for something to make clams linguini, which I've had a taste for lately. It didn't occur to me to buy canned. Our local grocery has a tendency to have live clams during the holidays -- when I have so many meals out to go to that I do bare minimum cooking at home. And of course, this last (actually, first) cold spell killed the last of my parsley. It will probably wait until spring.

I have made it with a can of clams a splash of white wine,lemon juice,chicken broth and some capers . reduce it and toss with some fried (or fresh) parsley and pecorino. A little micro grated lemon rind is good too. I like coarse grind pepper on mine too.

I have made it with a can of clams a splash of white wine,lemon juice,chicken broth and some capers . reduce it and toss with some fried (or fresh) parsley and pecorino. A little micro grated lemon rind is good too. I like coarse grind pepper on mine too.

Sounds really 'nummy. I have copied and pasted this.

I use the white clam sauce recipe that is in the Minnesota Heritage Cookbook. I can PM that to you--it uses canned clams, white wine, and is always a hit with my family.

I use the white clam sauce recipe that is in the Minnesota Heritage Cookbook. I can PM that to you--it uses canned clams, white wine, and is always a hit with my family.

My mother always made the clams with linguini. I loved the sauce, but have never been a fan of linguini. Italians make the sauce with the red gravy as well as the white. :yum:

if i wanted to replace the milk with cream how would i do so? I can't tolerate lactose, but cream (and cheese) I have no issues with.

i would consider almond milk / coconut milk in other recipes, but it might ruin the taste of a chowder.

maybe cream + sugar to make up for the lactose?

Good Morning,

Enjoying the variety of clam chowders on this thread ... However, personally from my viewpoint, I prefer a Manhattan Clam Chowder ... Would anybody like to share their recipe ?

Thanks. Margi.

Potato Substitute for Lactose ( cream / milk ) :

I substitute a potato or 2 in my cream soups hot or cold almost all the time for myself ( nothing to do with lactose however ) ... It works superbly. It provides the creamy texture as well.

Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom