What are some interesting things to do with shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And here I was going to suggest that taking them to the museum or sightseeing would be interesting.

But, if you are planning on eating them....well....then....why not thread them on sugar canes and grill them. Then, serve them with mango and coconut rum dipping sauce.

So now I'm interested. We can buy sugar cane now and then. It is much too thick to thread shrimp on. Is there a special kind I can get? And why won't they melt or burn when I put them on the grill?

I'd like to try these.

Marinade in grated ginger & garlic, sesame seeds, terryaki, and a small can of chunk pineapple w/juice and a small bit of sesame oil.
Then skewer with pineapple chunks and grill or broil.

Shrimp marinara or parm.

It all depends on the size of the shrimp.

We are fortunate to have lots of fresh and luscious shrimp in our markets - at about $10 USD per kilo. Not terribly cheap, but we eat them often. One of our favorites is to boil them with seasoning, peel, then serve them on top of an avocado half (aquacates relleno con camaron). I make a dressing from mayo, sour cream, my homemade chile powder, some garlic, cilantro and lime. Very very tasty.

This sounds wonderful Karen ... would you be willing to share your chile powder recipe?

So now I'm interested. We can buy sugar cane now and then. It is much too thick to thread shrimp on. Is there a special kind I can get? And why won't they melt or burn when I put them on the grill?

I'd like to try these.
Get big shrimp, usually called Tiger Shrimp here. No the sticks won't burn but they will give a good flavour to the shrimp. I find them in asian markets.

Get big shrimp, usually called Tiger Shrimp here. No the sticks won't burn but they will give a good flavour to the shrimp. I find them in asian markets.

I don't know if they're called Tiger Shrimp here. I buy them count per pound but I think I know what you mean...those bigger than jumbo ones. Asian markets are easy to find. I'm going to try them out.

Thanks.

AM Seccia, I'd be happy to share my chile powder recipe - it is probably posted on the site somewhere else, but instead of having to search for it, here it is:

Chile Powder

6 oz dried chiles (mild, hot or combination. Ancho or pasillo are the mildest and guajillo and chiles de arbol are a little hotter. I mix them up. Last time, I added too much chiles de arbol and it was HOT. But good.)
2 TBS ground cumin
2 tsp ground paprika
4 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp onion salt
2 tsp dried cilantro (I used more)

Lightly toast dried chiles in a dry frying pan or griddle just until they become pliable and start to smell - about 30-45 seconds. Let them cool, then cut off stems of chiles and remove seeds. Blend all ingredients with chiles in a food processor until powdery. Store in an air-tight glass jar.

I agree with Uncle Bob. Cajun BBQ'ed Shrimp. YUMMY! It's uber-messy, so clear off the table and cover the table with newspaper. They are best head-on, shell on. You'll have to peel them yourself, but you get that sweet nugget of shrimp fat that's in the head.

I'm really fond of coconut breaded shrimp.

If you want to so some shrimp fajitas, make it easy. Peel and devein each shrimp, and remove the tailfin. Wrap each shrimp with half a rasher of thin, American-style bacon. Skewer. Repeat, threading on more bacon-wrapped shrimp onto the skewer. Grill over med-low coals until the bacon and shrimp is cooked. Brush with a chipotle BBQ sauce. Serve with warm tortillas and fajita fixin's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom