What is/are your favourite fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also gonna add votes for walleye (a beautiful frying fish...parmesan and corn flakes!) and I do love catfish...I have a great recipe for it sauted with onion and orange but also like it hot spiced, coated in crackermeal and pan fried !

Last edited:
Yeah - I have a copy of that. Unfortunately, Monterey doesn't really keep that website "in time with the times".

The Blue Claw Crab of the Mid-Atlantic is seriously suffering & has had a number of moratoriums recently placed on its harvesting. I'm not so sure it should still be placed where it is on that chart. Unless you're talking about Blue Claws imported from Indonesia - which raises its own problems. And believe it or not, squid has also been on a MAJOR downswing, & has been for a number of years. There have been quite a few articles on that.

And those are just two of a number of mistakes. Monterey needs to do a bit more research & update their chart to be a bit more current.

Don't believe everything you read folks. Do your own research before buying.

Sorry GotGarlic. It is on-spot for many species - it's just not up-to-date. If they really want to be helpful, they should update it every 6 months - or at least yearly - to reflect what's going on in the seafood industry.

The page they have on there now is the exact same page I downloaded over a year ago, & there's been a LOT of changes in what's endangered & what's not since then.

:) I like most fish I don't like strong flavored like mackerel. We can catch brook trout right here on the ranch. I love chilean sea bass but its on the endangered list.So my question is what is a good and plentiful substitute tooth fish? Not like I can get decent fresh fish where I live but I could mail order for some or get the chef here at the ranch order some for me.

I just re-discovered.... catfish!
My fish when growing up was what we caught in lakes, which
was breaded and fried.
Until a couple of years ago, I hadn't tried anything else!

Made some Seafood Newburg the other night, and since some bottom feeder was
on sale, I got some. Poached it over some leeks and other goodies that went into
the Newburg rice, and it was absolutely stunning!

The best fish I have ever eaten was brook and rainbow trout caught, cleaned, and fried at creekside in Colorado when I was growing up Fresh is everything with seafood. Someone suggested marked down fish. At the stores where I shop, fish is marked down when it gets too old. Fish on sale, is another matter. Often large quantities are purchased and brought in for the sale. To me, nothing wrong with fresh frozen, but I dont want the store to thaw it for me. Ask and the store will give you frozen. Nearly impossible to get shrimp anywhere not previously frozen as most of it is frozen on the boat. Likewise many fish. I prefer it to days old "fresh" fish. In Richmond, I can get really fresh atlantic seafood, and have a couple of seafood vendors who know what I like and call me when they have it Worth cultivating sources, including amateur fisherman who know that I will happily take their excess catch and use it.

Pretty much any kind of fish, as long as it's cooked and not turned to charcoal. If it has batter, then that's an added bonus that's a good excuse to have a beer or two. :cool:

Mahi Mahi or Barracuda... Dusted with a pinch of salt, slight cumin and paprika and a bit of black pepper. Pan seared in smoking hot oil and served with a wedge of fresh lemon and chopped cilantro.

:w00t2:

mmmmm!!!!

Ahh - Blackfish!! I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much I miss Blackfish from my growing up on Long Island days!! Haven't had it in about 15 years, but still remember how fabulous it was. Everyone called it "poor man's lobster" because of the chunky texture & buttery sweet flavor. We used to fish for it off the rocky North Shore jetties.

I'm a shellfish gal. Though I don't mind a nice flavored baked fish either. I have a great recipe for mixing shrimp and chicken in a spicy sauce and serving it over rice, but I can't make it too often becuz dh is allergic to shell fish :-(

YEAH. I love shellfish, and can't have it, but I am not a fan of regular fish, and can have all I want. Ah the irony of life. The is something very philosophical buried in there somewhere I am sure. As for a favorite fish dish, I have two. As a fisherman, there is nothing like a nice fresh trout with just a hint of lemon and garlic that has been steamed in a little foil pouch. And as a good Irish boy, I had fish and chips, wrapped in a newspaper, from a small pub in Cashel Ireland. Never had better.

Back
Top Bottom