What to do with precooked shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
My husband accidentally bought frozen peeled pre cooked shrimp. Usually I buy frozen unpeeled uncooked shrimp and everything comes out fine.

My toddler just likes plain shrimp so I tried to just get the frozen out for her and put it in a bit of warm water for a minute - it was so bad and rubbery. I didn't think I overcooked it as the shrimp were still cold in the middle just not frozen. Maybe they came rubbery and overcooked I don't know.

Well now I have an expensive bag of shrimp I don't know how to make palatable. Any advice?

you could add them to pad thai. that way they're kind of hidden in the noodles, scalliins, beansprouts, and ground peanuts.

If you've only taken out a few, take them back to the store. They sound freezer burned (even if they don't look it). Like BT suggested, you could toss them in a pasta dish but they're still going to be bad. I vote take them back and get what you originally intended.

If you've only taken out a few, take them back to the store. They sound freezer burned (even if they don't look it). Like BT suggested, you could toss them in a pasta dish but they're still going to be bad. I vote take them back and get what you originally intended.

I am for taking them back. Just don't let them know your husband made a mistake. Just tell them you can taste the freezer burn and they are just too tough to even chew. :angel:

I stick with the raw IQF ezpeel shrimp.

I have been disappointed too many time by frozen cooked shrimp that smelled like dirty old sneakers.

It may seem like an expensive mistake now, think of all the times that you can bring this up to your husband in the years to come, priceless! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Use them in a salad, use them in shrimp Alfredo, or mix up some shrimp sauce (ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice) and make a shrimp cocktail. (The Pad Thai sounds like a good idea but IMO over the head of most casual chefs.)

Cooked shrimp are not like raw shrimp. Each have their uses (raw is usually more flexible). But once you cook shrimp and refrigerate them they are bound to be "rubbery." Use them in a recipe that can handle that.

Use them in a salad, use them in shrimp Alfredo, or mix up some shrimp sauce (ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice) and make a shrimp cocktail. (The Pad Thai sounds like a good idea but IMO over the head of most casual chefs.)

Cooked shrimp are not like raw shrimp. Each have their uses (raw is usually more flexible). But once you cook shrimp and refrigerate them they are bound to be "rubbery." Use them in a recipe that can handle that.

I buy bags of frozen cooked shrimp and I put them in a colander and run water over them, then they defrost quickly. They are not rubbery.

"Rubbery" was probably the wrong word and I agree that's not quite it, but I was going along with what the OP said. But they're not crisp either.

I presume pre-cooked shrimp is steamed. I don't like the way that comes out unless it's disguised with other ingredients (like in a salad with other ingredients and a dressing, or like with cocktail sauce which is usually strong, or like in a cheese sauce over pasta).

If I want pre-cooked shrimp for a recipe I generally saute raw shrimp ahead of time. For example, IMO shrimp sauteed in garlic butter tastes far better in a salad than store bought pre-cooked shrimp. It has more flavor. Steaming does nothing for flavor.

"Rubbery" was probably the wrong word and I agree that's not quite it, but I was going along with what the OP said. But they're not crisp either.

I presume pre-cooked shrimp is steamed. I don't like the way that comes out unless it's disguised with other ingredients (like in a salad with other ingredients and a dressing, or like with cocktail sauce which is usually strong, or like in a cheese sauce over pasta).

If I want pre-cooked shrimp for a recipe I generally saute raw shrimp ahead of time. For example, IMO shrimp sauteed in garlic butter tastes far better in a salad than store bought pre-cooked shrimp. It has more flavor. Steaming does nothing for flavor.

Oh, I agree it tastes better when you cook it yourself, but I am very lazy. LOL Mostly I am just defrosting about 10 or so for a snack for myself. If cooking a main course, I would buy the raw shrimp.

I use pre-cooked shrimp in an easy gazpacho: Tomato juice (or V8), salsa, shrimp, and avocado chunks, with tabasco.

Also, shrimp salad stuffed in an avocado half.

Having been married to a shrimper and living in a shrimping town I learned to cook shrimp from the best. If you are boiling them or any manner of cooking them, as soon as they start to turn pink, remove them from the heat and cover them. The residual heat will finish them off and they will never be rubbery. Make sure your heat source is at its peak before introducing the shrimp.

My daughter has the dangest time accepting this manner of preparing them, so she gives the job to me. Geesh, sometimes I get so lucky because I get to shell and clean them at the same time. :angel:

I just used precooked shrimp to make a shrimp salad with minced tomato and jalapeño in a lime mayonnaise to be served with avocado. Of course I tasted it as I prepared it so I know it's good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom