What to make to accompany Mussels in Wine Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstarr

Cook
I plan on making Steamed Mussels in a Wine Broth. What else should I make to accompany the mussels to complete this meal?

I was thinking of french baguette and a vegetable.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mmmm ... we love just a simple salad with lots of good crusty, toasted bread to soak up the broth. If you really want a veggie, I would think asparagus would be a good side.

You can halve some grape tomatoes and add them to the pot....some thyme sprigs. I can't think of a veggie that would really accompany them.

The classic accompaniment is French fries. (In France they're caled "frites.") You could serve them over linguine, or have plenty of bread on hand to sop up the juices.

A mixed green salad with a lemony vinaigrette goes well, too. :)

I love to serve steamed mussels or clams with a good crusty loaf of sourdough, zucchini and a good white wine, mmmmmmmm

This is probably too late for your meal tonight, but I never bother serving anything with steamed mussels (regardless of the sauce) except a nice mixed green salad with a simple vinegarette dressing & a nice loaf of warm crusty artisinal-type bread - round or a baguette.

As far as the amount of mussels, hubby & I are real mussel lovers & find that 2 pounds makes a perfect meal for the two of us. If you do happen to have a few left over, just pick out the meats & save them to toss into a clam or mixed seafood sauce to serve over spaghetti.

It's not too late. I'm making the meal on Friday.

I think I'm going to go the route of a mixed green salad, sweet potato fries and toasted crusty bread. What would you guys put in the mixed salad?

It's not too late. I'm making the meal on Friday.

I think I'm going to go the route of a mixed green salad, sweet potato fries and toasted crusty bread. What would you guys put in the mixed salad?
I would do a simple little salad of lets say either butter lettuce or arugala, with just some home made butter garlic crutons and shavings of parmesan cheese,salt and pepper..easy, not over powering in taste just a nice compliment to your mussels. I'd dress with just lemon and evoo
kadesma

I would simply make it easy on yourself & just make a simple salad of mixed greens - whatever strikes your fancy at the market. No need to get fancy-schmancy - heck even a couple of bags of assorted salad greens are perfectly acceptable. Add whatever additions/garnishes you like, but keep it very simple to complement the simple elegance of the mussels. I'd go with a very basic vinegarette dressing, & perhaps some grated parmesan grated on top, but that would be it for me.

As far as your potato choice, personally I really can't see sweet potato fries & mussels. Sweet potatoes & seafood have never seemed to have any affinity for me whatsoever. If I were you, I'd go with plain old shoestring potatoes. No need to make them from scratch - just buy a frozen name-brand & be sure to bake them until they're nice & crispy.

But again - just my personal opinion.:chef:

It depends on how full you want to be. If you are looking for the lite (not necessarily fat free) option, go with bread and salad. If you want a filler, go with the pasta with some sort of cream or cheese sauce. I don't mean Mac & Cheese. I have a recipe from a restaurant from many, many years ago. It is simple, but very good, and filling.

1 8oz Velveeta (yes Velveeta, not cheddar. Fast and creamy).
1 4oz Sour Cream
1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
½ Tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbls Butter
1 Sm Onion, finely chopped
1 Tsp Minced Fresh Garlic
1 lbs Linguine

Start water for pasta.

Melt Butter on Med High, Sauté Onions until clear, add garlic and Italian Seasoning. Cook approximately 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium, and add Velveeta. When melted, add Black Pepper and Sour Cream and reduce heat to low. Stir until mixed. Pour over pasta and serve immediately. I also use this for Stuffed Baked Potatoes, but add ½ cup bacon bits.

I have used this with clams, shrimp and oysters, and it is all good. Simple, but filling.

I would serve a good crusty bread, a simple salad. I think those packaged salad greens are one of the 7 wonders of the cooking world. Maybe some good cheese. Normally a Muscadet wine with shellfish, but the wine should be compatible with the sauce. It is the preparation, not the ingredients that determine the wine. This is one of my favorite light meals. My Costco sells mussells in 3 pound bags over the weekend. For me, this is a serving for 2, any left over go into next days seafood pasta.

What kind of white wine would you guys use, and how do I make the dipping bread?

Back
Top Bottom