what's a cheap....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Broiled Tilapia

1 1/2 pounds frozen tilapia, thawed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
paprika
Place tilapia fillets in a shallow dish; sprinkle with garlic powder. Combine melted butter, lemon juice, and soy sauce; pour over tilapia then turn to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Place fish on broiler pan then broil about 4 inches from heat for about 5 minutes on each side, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with paprika.
Tilapia recipe serves 4.

Tancowgirl, have a similar problem, just reverse the sexes.

My wife will eat shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops, and, go figure, whole cooked fish in Chinese restaurants.

So going to a seafood restaurant is no problem for us.

Where we live we have no access to a fish monger, so everything is usually in plastic wrap in the supermarket.

And looks like it has been dead a long time.

Grew up in NYC many years ago and there would be all sorts of very fresh fish available, particularly on Fridays (yes, those were the days when Catholics were forbidden to eat meat on Friday, and so the stores abounded with fresh fish at the end of the week).

And someone in the neighborhood was always going deep sea fishing and when they (or we) came back with an excess, it was given to the neighbors.

My mom would take fresh mackeral, an oily fish, put sliced onion, some sliced lemon, and maybe a bit of tomato sauce and spices in the cavity and bake them. Very good.

Can do the same with striped bass (or rockfish, depending upon where you live) with excellent results.

Unfortunately my lovely wife does not even like the smell of cooking seafood, so we rarely have the stuff at home.

A lot of people who aren't partial to fish seem to like orange roughy, but it isn't particularly cheap. Maybe you could start with that and try to make a switch later.

I have to disagree with people who buy 'whatever is on sale'; this just shrieks 'buyer, beware' to me! It's a very common practice for fishmongers/groceries to place a sale on a slow moving item to get rid of it before it goes bad, so that 'sale; fish you buy might have been sitting around a few days.

I would rather go with local seasonal fish for those of you who live near water - fresh or salt - , and would buy a bag of the 'IQF' (individually quick frozen) fish from the freezer section.

Remember - always - to smell the fish before you buy it; if it smells 'fishy', or if the fish counter itself smells 'fishy', I pass on it. Fresh fish, either fresh or saltwater, has a sweet, watery, 'oceany' smell. If you're buying whole fish, look for bright eyes and look behind the gills to see that they're pink. A dull looking eye, grayish gills, mean an old fish.

marmalady said:
I have to disagree with people who buy 'whatever is on sale'; this just shrieks 'buyer, beware' to me! It's a very common practice for fishmongers/groceries to place a sale on a slow moving item to get rid of it before it goes bad, so that 'sale; fish you buy might have been sitting around a few days.

I would rather go with local seasonal fish for those of you who live near water - fresh or salt - , and would buy a bag of the 'IQF' (individually quick frozen) fish from the freezer section.

Remember - always - to smell the fish before you buy it; if it smells 'fishy', or if the fish counter itself smells 'fishy', I pass on it. Fresh fish, either fresh or saltwater, has a sweet, watery, 'oceany' smell. If you're buying whole fish, look for bright eyes and look behind the gills to see that they're pink. A dull looking eye, grayish gills, mean an old fish.

To me, even a couple hours sitting there is too long for steaks or fillets, and all day is too long for a whole fish. I don't trust the supermarkets at all, so until I find a fishmonger I can really respect and trust, I stick to fish I catch myself or what I get frozen.

marmalady said:

To me, even a couple hours sitting there is too long for steaks or fillets, and all day is too long for a whole fish. I don't trust the supermarkets at all, so until I find a fishmonger I can really respect and trust, I stick to fish I catch myself or what I get frozen.

Back
Top Bottom