Whats the best way to cook squid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a thread in the fish forum on squid, or do a search on here for squid which will bring up recipes that have been posted.

squid has to be cooked very quickly. if you cook it longer than when it is just cooked thru, it will get tough. i love grilled squid, which is literally cooked for no more than 1 minute on each side on a very hot grill. just skewer the whole cleaned bodies, drizzle with evoo and s & p, and toss on the barbie. it's done before you know it.
another fav is squid salad, in which the squid are boiled for exactly 1 minute, then plunged in ice water to stop the cooking. then they are tossed in a lemon/raw garlic/celery/evoo/s&p dressing, and served over a bed of chopped tomatoes and lettuce.

squid has to be cooked very quickly.

On the flip side of that, if you don't cook the squid quickly, then you need to cook it for a longer period of time, preferrably in a liquid. Italians have mastered the art of this, using braising, stewing, and "confit" type methods for long-cooking both squid and octopus. FYI, "Polipo" is Italain for Octopus, in the event you want to do a search on Google for any recipes.

buckytom said:
squid has to be cooked very quickly. if you cook it longer than when it is just cooked thru, it will get tough. i love grilled squid, which is literally cooked for no more than 1 minute on each side on a very hot grill. just skewer the whole cleaned bodies, drizzle with evoo and s & p, and toss on the barbie. it's done before you know it.
another fav is squid salad, in which the squid are boiled for exactly 1 minute, then plunged in ice water to stop the cooking. then they are tossed in a lemon/raw garlic/celery/evoo/s&p dressing, and served over a bed of chopped tomatoes and lettuce.

Where is that wonderful stuffed squid recipe that you posted once? It sounds great.

We bread our squid with egg and panko and then deep fry. Very nice. Just don't cook it too long.

i posted it under the fish thread pdswife, i think. i'll have to check. it was good, but i would like to get lidia bastianich's actual recipe that inspired me to make it (my version from what i remembered she did on her show) one night.

oh, i should have mentioned that, ironchef. thanks for pointing that out, about the long cooking. i love calamari alla romana, which is squid, cooked forever in a spicy wine based marinara, much like the same dish made with tripe.

i've heard that people in the meditterranean will put octopus in washing machines to bash it around to tenderize it before cooking...

In addition to getting the best laugh of the day from Catseye's comment, I have to agree with her.

It is not that I dislike squid, I just don't think it has much taste. Have eaten it in a number of ways, even at places where people think it is a specialty, and it just leaves me unimpressed.

Will eat almost all seafood and fish (when I lived in NYC loved the scungilli sold in little Italy). Adore raw clams and oysters, even enjoy the jellyfish served in Chinese restaurants. Love sashimi, hardly ever order sushi, because I prefer the sashimi platters.

Sorry I know many people adore squid. I just don't get the stuff (or octopus for that matter).

But the idea of putting squid into a volcano sounds promising. If ya gotta appease the gods with something, squid are a lot cheaper and easier to get than, well, the traditional fare.

I have not tried all of those squid recipes (because there is well over a hundred listed!) so if anyone does give them a go I would be very interested to hear if they are actually any good! Best of luck.

Cheers Glen

Back
Top Bottom