"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 03:29 AM   #21
Head Chef

I like to make the Rice-a-Roni stir fried rice with shrimp. I'll use one pound of shrimp to one box of Rice-a-Roni.

Make the stir fried Rice-a-Roni according to directions (sometimes I cook the vermicelli in butter, sometimes I just throw the whole box in boiling water).

Add in a handful of baked almonds and a cup of chopped celery (per box) and anything else you want.

Simmer until the rice is almost done, then add the chopped up shrimp.

Continue to simmer until the shrimp is cooked and the rice is done.

Serve with crispy noodles.

This reheats well in a pot with a little water added to it. Not so well in the microwave.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:46 AM   #22
Senior Cook

The best shrimp dish is shrimp that was in the ocean at 5:00 am and on your table at 5:00 pm.
kb0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:34 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0000 View Post
The best shrimp dish is shrimp that was in the ocean at 5:00 am and on your table at 5:00 pm.
What's wrong having it on the table at 5:10 am? lol

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:47 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

That works if you are on the shrimp boat, but not if you are in your kitchen.
kb0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:21 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's not a recipe.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:01 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
I agree and concur. I miss being close to the ocean where I used to go to the shrimp boat docks in Key West and help them clean up the boats when they came in.
They paid me with a bucket full of shrimp and by-catch. My grandmother sent me, gave me the bucket and told me what to do.
It was not unusual to get a few spiny lobsters in that deal. Fish too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm good with that.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #27
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's not a recipe.
LOL - all recipes, now a days, usually say as the first step...

Gather all your ingredients.

So it's sort'a, almost, just about, close to, gettin' there, is a start...
Old 04-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #28
Sous Chef

my reaction to the thread was:
I got more best shrimp dishes than shrimps got legs . . .
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

What's your best Shrimp Recipe? Your best shrimp recipe: Is it crab or scallop stuffed shrimp, shrimp bisque, shrimp scampi, shrimp coattail, or other? I once had a ground shrimp burger at a little restaurant on North Island Naval Air Station in San Diego that was amazing. I remember Chef Michael Simon won his bid to become an Iron Chef by making a shrimp sausage, in natural casing. So what is your signature shrimp dish, and how do you make it? [B]Chief's Tempura Coconut Shrimp with Honey Lemon Sauce[/B] [B]Ingredients:[/B] [B]Shrimp:[/B] 12 - 15 per lb. EZ-peel raw tiger, or Florida pink shrimp 1/2 tsp. kosher salt [B]Tempura Batter:[/B] 1.2 cup AP flour 1.2 cup cornstarch 1.2 tsp. Kosher salt 2 tsp. double acting baking powder 1 cup water 1/2 cup toasted coconut [B]Sauce1:[/B] 1 cup honey 3 tbs. fresh squeezed lemon juice zest of 1 lemon [B]Sauce2:[/B] 1 12 oz. can apricot, with can liquor 1 teaspoon cider vinegar 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 2 cups cooking oil for frying the shrimp Remove shells from the shrimp, leaving the tails intact, and devein. Wash cleaned shrimp under cold, running water. Turn the shrimp onto its back, and make shallow slices across the belle, this will remove the curl and make an attractive presentation. Season the shrimp with the salt. Make the sauces and chill until ready to serve. Heat oil to 365' F in a deep Dutch oven, deep fryer, or frying pan. Combine tempura ingredients, except coconut, and whisk until smooth. Add the toasted coconut. Add all of the shrimp into the batter. With tongs, place 5 coated shrimp into the hot oil, and cook until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack above a paper towel lined cookie sheet. Repeat until all of the shrimp is fried. Serve with sauces. Tip: This batter is also great with scallops, squid, clams, mussels, and frog legs. It's also pretty tasty with cauliflower, and small fish, such as smelt, and small fillets of rock bass, yellow perch, etc. Though the following link is a picture from the internet, it looks just like my tempura shrimp, minus the coconut. [URL="https://pixabay.com/photos/shrimp-tempura-shrimp-gourmet-5489578/"]https://pixabay.com/photos/shrimp-tempura-shrimp-gourmet-5489578/[/URL] Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North. 3 stars 1 reviews