Whitefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought sushi was raw fish and hence it shouldn't be freshwater. Never eat freshwater fish raw. It can give you something you are better off not knowing about. A quick check of various sources said that sal****er whitefish are a generally considered to be cod, saithe, haddock, whiting, ling, redfish and hake.

True whitefish are freshwater and are Salmonids (troutlike) and belong to one of two genera Prosopium or Coregonus. The latter being the lake whitefish. In the west they inhabit many rivers and lakes and can provide some fishing excitement for fly anglers when the trout will not cooperate. They will rise readily to a dry fly. Now with all that scientific stuff out of the way I think I will rise to a dry martini.

Oh, by the way before I forget. Go to you state or provencial fish and game website and read the warnings posted for fish consumption. Even in "non-industrialized" lakes that are supposedly "clean" atmospheric mercury desposition can cause elevated levels of mercury in fish, pesticides that have been banned for years are still in the food chain and accumulated in predatory fish and just because there is no apparent industry on a lake or river beware. To be forewarned in this case may prevent you family tree from getting pruned. Now back to that martini.

bump.

i was lurker surfing.

i got a good chuckle out of this.

any new ideas on whitefish?

First off, lake whitefish is probably the most popular food fish from the Great lakes (though I prefer eastern brookeis and rainbow trout myself). They are firm fleshed with a mild flavor. Whitefish can be made into fish cakes, battered, or breaded and fried, baked, broiled, smoked, cooked in foil pouches with veggies, etc. It is great in chowders, and soups as well.

Just for fun, I did a quick google search to see if there was a way I haven't had whitefish and found this: Great Lakes Whitefish - Fried Whitefish Tacos

Also, this looks interesting: Great Lakes Whitefish - Blackened Great Lakes Whitefish With Asparagus

This: Great Lakes Whitefish - Great Lakes Muffuletta

This:Great Lakes Whitefish - Mackinac Whitefish Bisque

This site has a host of whitefish recipes, from which the above were taken.:Great Lakes Whitefish - Recipe List

How do I like my whitefish? I like to take a boneless fillet, pat it dry with paper towels, place on a oiled broiling pan, flesh side up, drizzle with a bit of melted butter, a squeeze of lemon juice, a dash of tarragon, and a bit of salt and pepper. Broil until the top of the flesh just starts to take on a bit of color, flip, and broil for two more minutes, then serve with asparagus, or some other fine, green veggie.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

white fish is awesome smoked, otherwise I won't touch it. Perfect breakfast: boiled or baked potato, sprinkled with some oil and smoked white fish, Love it.

I was at a sushi resteraunt with my grandfather today and we had a plethora of sushi and shashimi. We had california rolls, smoked eel, squid stuffed with salmon, and alot more. One of the platters had WhiteFish.

Ive never heard of Whitefish before, call me uninformed. We had it raw, but I would be curious of how to cook it and/or prepare it raw.

Has anyone here had it? I thought it was delightful.

BBQMikey may have been referring to a very white colored fish known as escolar or white tuna. Hopefully, he didn't eat too much...:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom